Today has been a hellacious day so far, and it isn't even noon. Let's go through the events thus far:
4:16am - Alex's alarm goes off. His flight from Cleveland to Texas takes off in less than two hours. I wearily brush my teeth, wash my face, and put on a pair of jeans as he jumps through a shower.
4:37am - Leave his apartment and load up my car. There is a homeless man sleeping in the car next to mine. I count my blessings.
4:38am - It starts to snow. I love snow!!
4:51am - Drop Alex off at the airport. Crack open an energy drink and plug in my iPod. It is snowing REALLY hard. Hmm, maybe now isn't the best time for my favorite form of precipitation to make an appearance. Make my way back to the highway.
4:53am - It starts to sleet. I HATE SNOW. I HATE SLEET. Turn up the heater, then strip off my coat, scarf, and mittens because I can't breathe. It is like a tropical rain forest in my car. Would opening the window to let in fresh air defeat the whole purpose of the defroster?
5:45am - Stop for gas. Note with horror that the left front tire is looking really low again. How?! I refilled it with air THREE DAYS AGO. Shake my fists at the heavens as the fat flakes of f-ing snow swirl around me.
5:49am - Try to put more air in the tire, but there is a quarter jammed in the slot. Why isn't air free? I just spent $40 filling up my gas tank, can't they throw in a little air so I don't die on the way home? I mean, we're surrounded by the stuff, for goodness' sake, all they do is add pressure.
6:06am - Butt hurts from the spill I took yesterday as Alex and I were walking in the pouring rain. Totally bit it right in front of a parking garage attendant. Fell hard on my arse and my elbow (which was still a little bruised from my fall last week). Sitting here in the car for so long? Not so fun.
6:30am - Realize that I really, REALLY have to go to the bathroom. I could pull off at the next exit, but it is pitch black outside and still snowing/sleeting ridiculously hard. I hate using public restrooms when I am alone. I envision chainsaw-wielding, skimask-wearing, hooks-for-hands men lurking in public restrooms just waiting to prey on unsuspecting girls. But not me, I am...suspecting? Whatever. I shake my head and continue on. Only an hour to go, I can make it!
6:37am - Start to formulate the pep talk I will have to give myself when my tire inevitably blows and I'm stranded by the side of the road for hours waiting for AAA to arrive. I'm not above peeing in the woods, especially if hidden by my car. Psycho killers would be stupid to hide in the woods in this weather. Psycho deer, on the other hand...
7:10am - The snow finally starts to let up. I am only 20 miles outside of Columbus and traffic is starting to get much heavier. Also, slower. Still really need to heed the call of nature.
7:29am - HOORAY I AM HOME! Take just enough time to turn off the car before hurling myself through the garage door and into the bathroom.
7:32am - Go back to the car to get my stuff.
7:34am - Turn on the shower and scream at the top of my lungs when I get in and am stabbed by the icicles of the freezing water. Decide I am clean enough. Pull hair back in ponytail. Make mental note to have a roommate conference later about taking shorter showers.
7:45am - Go upstairs and realize that my roommates bought a Christmas tree and decorated the entire first floor while I was gone for the weekend. Cry a little on the inside and feel even more left out than I usually do.
8:30am - Get to work and tell my boss that I need to take my lunch hour ASAP so I can drive my car to the dealership to have the tire inspected. She says I can go now. I wonder if the muffin I had for breakfast will tide me over until the end of the day.
8:52am - The maintenance guy shows me the huge nail he pulled out of my tire. Then he sits down and tells me in a fatherly fashion that I really need to bring my car to the dealership to be inspected, since I'm still under warranty there. He looks like Snoop Dogg. Then he says they won't charge me anything for removing the nail. I want to hug him. Or smoke some chronic with him and Dr. Dre.
9:43am - Back at the office. Starting to get hungry. Realize I will have to sneak out again later to go to the Subway down the street. Wonder what else will happen today. Sigh heavily.
13 comments:
Oh my gosh. You had quite the morning!
Hopefully the rest of the day is more mellow!
holy cow hon! that is one crazy day and it's not even lunchtime! i feel for you.
but the real question is... how did the party in Cleveland go?!!
Oh lord, girl, you need a cocktail!
ha! love it! i was scared for you about the tire... i don't think i hate anything more than my car breaking down on the side of the road, especially if i'm alone. but yay it didn't!
Wow your morning puts my morning to shame. Good thing you got the nail out now. I drove around for a week and a half when there was a nail in my tire...had to get a new tire, that's never fun. Haha.
Aw- Virginia! This is NUTS. I vote that you should indeed smoke some chronic with the maintenance guy and Dr. Dre.
ps- which dress did you wear?!
oh geez! good luck with the rest of your day. and also: cracked up at the part about dr dre
Wow, I am tired just from reading that. And to think, I was sleeping peacefully while all of this was going on with you. Hehe.
I hope the rest of your day improved and you can go home and relax tonight!!
I am a true believer in days starting any earlier than 7am are days not worth getting up for. Hang in there.
oh you poor thing!!
i'm so glad you were able to make it through that drive again though.
hooray for the maintenance guy though - woot :) hope your day went/is going a lot better!
*there should be no "again" after drive up there in that comment.
me? i've had no sleep, no food, and 4 cups of coffee. sorry!!
wow, you went through more stress by 9:30am today then I will probably have all week combined! treat yourself to a nice glass of wine tonite :)
6:37am was the best... you pep talked yourself out of a flat tire before it happened... and then worried about deer. I love thee
Post a Comment