Tonight at the gym (I know, I went two days in a row, STOP THE PRESSES!) I think I had one of the most embarrassing moments of my entire life. And now I'm writing about it on the internet, because you know the first thing that popped into my head as I flew off the treadmill? "This will be such a good thing to blog about." Backing up a little...I was at the gym on one of the treadmills. I was never a big runner until this summer, when my roommates and I moved into an apartment one block away from the cutest park in all of Columbus (Goodale Park). I figured out that one loop around the park was equivalent to just under a mile, and off I went. Then, a few weeks ago, I was visiting friends in New York City and we watched part of the marathon. It was so incredibly moving (I wrote about it here in my old blog). That REALLY made me want to run a marathon...or maybe a 5k, because really, baby steps...and hence why I was on the treadmill tonight.
I had already been running for a while when this man, who was probably in his 40s and in no way attractive, began sprinting on the treadmill next to mine. I'm serious--he was sprinting like there were dementors nipping at his heels, trying to suck out his soul. The result, though, was that he started to get really winded and soon enough, sweat started flying everywhere...and onto me. I was really grossed out. I debated moving to another treadmill, but they were all taken, and I only had half a mile to go before I was going to stop anyway and go take a shower. So I stuck it out. WORST CHOICE EVER.
The following events happened in slow motion.
The man's breathing stopped all of a sudden, his arms flailed out to each side, and his left hand hit my right shoulder and somehow got tangled in my iPod cord. I was tired and didn't have the response time necessary to prevent the tragedy that occurred .05 seconds later, so I wasn't really surprised when I lost my footing and flew off the back of my treadmill. And yes--flew off the back, not just fell. FLEW. LIKE A BIRD.
Somehow by the grace of god, my head didn't hit any of the stationary bicycles behind the treadmills. My arm did, but who needs arms anyway? That's probably why we have two of them, just for incidents like this. Duh. The man was lying there next to me, sweaty and disgusting, and laughing uncontrollably. Laughing and laughing and laughing. Didn't even ask if I was okay, or apologize for being a moron. A few other people asked if we were alright, which we were. I mean, other than my arm, but geez Virginia, don't be so dramatic. It's just an arm.
I like to think that the Look of Death that I gave that man as he brushed himself off (and left me to pick myself up off the floor) was strong enough to sear his brain a little. What a jerk. Needless to say, I will NOT be going to the gym tomorrow.
17 comments:
Oh my gosh! You have far more control than I. I would have flipped out on that dude!
omg that's so horrible, but I couldn't stop laughing!! I have a hard enough time making sure I don't look like a fool at the gym...the last thing I need is someone helping me embarrass myself!
Glad you're OK...and yeah, you deserve a day off...or 2.
NO WAY. That's gross and rude. And stupid, I hate when people are clearly trying to show off with their speed. I always nonchalantly make them realize that I'm at mile 5. And they are at mile 0.5. So take it easy, buddy.
I'd be so annoyed at that guy. I probably would have yelled and embarrassed myself. You probably did the right thing to just glare.
Look at you! Two days in a row! Oh, sweetie, you have to go again!
I'm absolutely not laughing at you.
*holds it in*
You poor thing! I do hope you're okay.... but I'm sorry, you had me giggling at the dementors comment.
Hugs to you!
What a fiasco - this sounds like the type of thing you see in movies & you laugh at how ridiculous it is! But I, like the others, am definitely ...not... laughing at your experience.
I'm glad you weren't injured, though, and I sort of wish the moron next to you had been!
P.S. I'd kind of like to run a 5k & eventually a marathon, too! Now I just need to get of of my lazy ass and start actually running...
I'm always afraid I'm going to fly off the treadmill! Glad you didn't get hurt. I have to go the gym today because I haven't been since last week :(
geez! i can't believe he didn't even ask if you were ok! people can be so inconsiderate.
p.s. i love the harry potter reference you threw in there.
p.p.s. glad you enjoyed the oreos as much as i did :)
THIS IS MY BIGGEST GYM FEAR. Seriously, I'm terrified of falling off the treadmill. I'm so glad you're okay. Ugh, I have goosebumps from reading that.
That was sooo funny. What a putz that guy was. Oh boy.
I walked into a glass door at my gym once. It was the main door. It was new and really clean. I ran like the wind back to my car.
This is why I stay away from treadmills, I'm way too afraid of falling off.
And I would have yelled at that guy for sure.
Glad you're okay though. :)
Oh god! Someone else's sweat. On your body. I would've puked.
What a complete A! OMG so gross and weird...
I had this guy who always came to my gym, and wore the same top everytime. It had started out white, but was tan/brown from gross grossness?
I hated even walking 2 feet near him. eww gyms suck! lol
oh man, thats crazy!! did you watch How I Met Your Mother last night? The whole show was based about the gym, I was cracking up completely.
Guys sweat smells so horrible. Girls smell like flowers when they are on the tredmill and elliptical. Glad you survived!!
Oh Virginia!! I would have been considerably more sympathetic if it wasn't so damn funny. But all jokes aside, I am glad you're ok! My sister-in-law broke her arm that way, flying off the back of a treadmill. Again, so entirely unfunnily funny. :)
Love ya.
Oh, that's a horrible story. I think I'll boycott the gym tonight on your honor. What i really loved about the story is that you snuck dementors in it!!! How HP of you!
i just made one of those short, strangled, almost-a-laugh-maybe-it-was-a-high-pitched-cough noises. at work.
thanks! :D
Post a Comment