Friday, November 9, 2007

Starting Over

There is something so refreshing about a brand spankin' new blog. It's a fresh start...an easy way to shake off The Blog That Got Really Boring and reinvent yourself. On that topic, by the way, my name is not Margo. That was just the nom de plume that I used on the old blog (which can still be found here if you so desire).

The story behind Margo is sort of funny...senior year at college, a couple of us pilfered some of the many beer steins that had been left to collect dust in the basement of our sorority house. No one was going to miss them--certainly not the women who had graduated in the 1980s and gone a quarter of a century without thinking twice about them. The first names of those long-ago sisters had been emblazoned on the back of the steins, and we adopted their (imagined) personalities with glee. Mine was Margo. I like to think she was a crazy gal with wild hair and an affinity for beer pong and flashy clothes. Whenever we got a little too out of control in those final, precious months of college, we'd blame it on our alter-egos. Oh, you drank way too much on Saturday night? That Margo, she sure can knock 'em back. You abandoned your homework in the library to go down to the bar on a Tuesday? Whew, Margo must've been rarin' to come out. You wore that boobaliciously low-cut shirt? Va-va-voom, Margo!

See, now the story comes full circle and explains the whole why-I-used-that-silly-fake-name thing. I know that many other people do it in their blogs, but when it was time to create this one, I just felt like using my own name would be a bit less confusing (for myself, mostly). Oh sure...Margo still shows her wild-haired head from time to time when we go out on the town or I decide it's okay to wear a ridiculously short skirt and four-inch heels, and I've no doubt that I will be writing about her from time to time. But for most of the year and a half since we graduated (gah! has it been that long?!), she has lain fairly dormant.

So welcome to the new blog. If you want to know a little about me, just read this post and this post from the old site. They pretty much sum up my personality to a T.

Hmm. I hope the blog title, "Virginia is for Lovers," doesn't imply that I am a state (ENOUGH WITH THE STATE JOKES ALREADY! and don't you dare ask me if I've met Virginia, I swear I will cut you! I already forever despise the members of Train for ever penning that little ditty, don't make me hate you too). Nor do I hope the title suggests that have many delicious, gentle, probably foreign lovahhhs in my boudoir at night. Or that I'm skanky. I'm not. OR MAYBE I AM! You will just have to wait and see! Mwa ha ha ha!

8 comments:

Chuck In Brooklyn said...

VAG - you're linked up!

I've got some design changes going on over @ UBNYC - mostly the name change, so fix yo' links!

Also - i could go for some more media (pictures/clips) in your posts...maybe some bolding and italicizing, too!

Michelle and the City said...

hey thanks for commenting :)

so you're in c-bus too? yay! i love meeting other bloggers from here.

Allison said...

Love it!! Very you... looking forward to reading as always. :)

Anonymous said...

oh, college.

nice new blog.

jen

Virginia said...

Chuck: I'll add more pictures, they're on my laptop at home.

Michelle: Hooray for Columbus folks!

Bex: I hope I don't disappoint. I'll bring my A-game with this one.

Jen: Did you get your hair fixed?

Katelin said...

Woo new blogs. And the title looks fab :)

Valley Girl said...

Good luck with the new blog! I'm loving it so far!

Anonymous said...

Kiki. That's my alter ego.

Don't ask, haha.