Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A Poll! (Because I Need Help)

I have a two-question poll for today, because I need your advice, my beautiful and oh-so-smart friends. I am going to my first grown-up holiday cocktail party on Saturday night, hosted by Alex's company (it's a big consulting company with offices all over the country and other various parts of the world, yipes!). The party is being held in a nice (indoor) part of the Browns stadium up in Cleveland. I had no idea such a place existed within a football stadium, but apparently it does. And my big, huge question is, of course, what do I wear?!

I've met a lot of the other young traveling consultants already, but this will be the first time I meet Alex's bosses as well as the other men working on his current project down in Texas. I obviously want to appear youthfully mature, fresh, and damn sexy, but I also don't want to look like a two-dollar hooker. I think the term I am going for here is "classically sleek." Or something along those lines, since I just pulled that phrase out of thin air.

OPTION #1: I have a very simple, black strapless dress that I got from White House Black Market a couple of years ago. It is similar to the dress below, except without the notch along the top. It hits me just below the knees, since I am a frightening 5'1" tall. Very classy, yes? Also maybe...a little boring. But I could definitely jazz it up with some fun jewelry.

OPTION #2: This was purchased at Macy's the other day. The straps are removable, (and by the grace of god the top is tight enough that the whole shebang doesn't fall off my concave chest) but I think I would leave them on, since no one wants an accidental peep show. Anyway, isn't it fun?? I adore it. It wasn't exactly cheap for my meager budget, but I figure I can wear it to at least one Christmas party here in town, as well as for New Year's. But the big question: is it appropriate for a company holiday party? I could wear more muted jewelry, since the sequins are a bit flashy.

As far as shoes, I'd probably wear the same pair with either dress: black, round-toed slingbacks with three inch heels. I tried to find a similar picture online, but no luck. And this is going to sound very naive, but should I wear hose? Nude or black? I probably ought to wear hose unless I start moisturizing the heck out of my legs right this second and also miraculously become tan for the first time in my life. And Cleveland is a terribly frigid place, with that icy wind that whips off Lake Erie, though a pair of hose would probably not prevent me from getting frostbite.

So what do you think? Dress #1 or #2? Hose or no hose? If yes, nude or black? Please share your thoughts! I know you are all wonderful fashionistas and I'd looove some help.

24 comments:

Valley Girl said...

Okay, I personally love #2. I would wear it with no hose, because I hate hose. Buuut...if you must, wear it with black. Nude is too 90s.

If you do decide on #1, shorten it above the knee, trust me. Below-the-knee-length makes us petite girls look small and fat.

Lisa said...

Oh number 2! That is gorge! I don't think it's too flash for work. Especially I think black hose would tone it down, with muted jewelery. I like it a lot!

Anonymous said...

I like number 1. I agree though about shortening it a tad. Black pumps, no hose. Slingbacks would be cute, but a great pair of black pumps are totally sexy. Also, with a bright clutch and some cute earrings! I think that would look great!

Anonymous said...

I love #2 & seems more fun. and can still be sexy. I like the colored bag idea. Def with hose to cover the bottom a little. Straps might be a better choice too..

For revealing tops, sometimes a wear a nice tanktop underneath to give it more coverage, but still be sexy.

#1 will be more reasonable/conservative if thats what will be most comfortable.

Have fun!
Ps you gave me some great advice! thanks so much!

Susie said...

I loveee #2!! I wouldn't wear hose because I hate them, but I also agree that black would be best if you do need to wear them. And I alsoo agree that if you wear #1, shorten it. I can't stand when dresses hit me right below my knees. I think it looks me look short and stout and I normally don't look stout so that's not cool!

I basically just repeated what everyone else said, but yeahhh, they're smart girls and I agree with them :)

Anonymous said...

I like them both, but especially number one. Mainly because I CANNOT wear strapless, so I want everyone else to wear it for me.

longredcape said...

I like them both, but #2 looks like it would be more forgiving if you overindulge on hors d’oeuvres (I had to google that, btw, to check the spelling!) Leave it to me to always prepare for food consumption.

t.b.f.love. said...

My vote would be: #2, no hose. It's festive & fun, and I think it would be appropriate for a holiday party. The no-hose part is a personal preference - but I hear you on the white-as-death-I-never-tan part...

Anonymous said...

Definitely #2 (which I now want, haha) with black hose. Personally, I'm not too into wearing hose, but it might be necessary with the cold and for the type of event.

Have so much fun!!

Kiki said...

Dress 2, with opaque black tights. Make sure to get formal ones, not sweatery ones. I have an awesome pair from Givenchy (via Filene's, of course) that are dark black with a tiny hint of shimmer but have that super sexy black seam up the back.

Have fun!!

Anonymous said...

Since you don't really know what everyone else will be wearing, I would go with option one. It's a classic dress that will fit in anywhere. I have a very similar dress and I tie a Burberry bow around the waist to make it look a little different. I always get compliments on it. Have fun!

www.lepetitchic.typepad.com

Dolce said...

Both are extremely cute.
#1 I'd pair it with a thin red belt, patton leather if you can find it.

#2 is SUPER cute (and my vote). I wore same dress to a wedding a couple weeks ago and I will wear it again to my company x-mas party. Black hose for sure! It can't be warm in Ohio.

Katelin said...

I vote for number two. So cute! I kind of want it. However I have already found my Christmas party/potentially New Year's dress :)

Scotty said...

Hey there, dont remember how I found your blog.. but I am sure it was through someone else I read.

I vote for #2, with hose or what not. Cocktail parties draw the more 'fun', rather than 'formal' look. At least in my experience with events in a worldwide consulting company :)

Anonymous said...

Number 2 for sure!! Kiki has the right idea...you might look silly in a place that cold with bare legs. I know I'd be embarassed to walk around DC with bare legs at any point during winter, even when it's in the 50's like right now. Granted we are all going to work.

Such a cute dress!

Kiki said...

Patricia,

I'm in DC too and I've worn tights twice this week! Yeah, I'm a wimpy southerner.

Anonymous said...

definitely number 2!!

class, schmass. it's a holiday party! and the second one is still adorable and you must take pictures because i already imagine you looking a-dor-a-ble and sorry if that's a bit creepy of me.

and oy, my boyfriend's holiday party is in a couple weeks and he works for a very intimidating hedge fund with some of the riches and most brilliant people in the world and ahhhh i will probably need your advise then!

Anonymous said...

(um. please excuse all the misspellings and what not up there. i? am lightheaded because i did not get to leave for lunch and may have gone a bit too heavy with the coffee.)

B2G said...

dress #2! definitely! ooooh how fun!

Michelle and the City said...

from having personally experienced the brisk lake erie winds in the dead of winter YOU NEED HOSE. period. i don't like black really, but that's just me.

i like the idea of adding a red belt.
and wear black pumps.

hope that helps!! :)

Julie Q said...

#2! Strut your stuff sister!! And make sure you take pics :)

Stephanie said...

LOVE #1. It is classy and sexy and perfect for meeting people you've never met before and want to impress. The second one, while cute, is more crazy-New-Years-Eve-party. Not immature necessarily, but not as classy as #1.

I would wear black hose. Not that they keep you warm, but it seems more appropriate for a work party in winter.

Let us know what you decide!

Anonymous said...

Option #1 would be the best choice since you don't know what other people will be wearing. It's classic and stunning, I cringe at the thought of pantyhose, but the sheer black would look great with it :-) Take pictures of your choice! And have a great time.

Larissa said...

#1 gets my vote! I love how sophisticated AND HOT it is. And it'll for sure be appropriate for the company party.