Alex and I are fortunate in that he acquires a LOT of airline and hotel points through his job. As a result, we can travel fairly inexpensively. We're not married yet, we don't have kids or a mortgage, and our jobs don't usually require us to work on the weekends, so why not see as much of the world as we can right now? Over the past nine months, in addition to the almost-every-weekend trips we make to Columbus and Cleveland to see each other, we have been to Boston, Colorado, St. Louis, Colonial Williamsburg, San Francisco, Maine, and New York City (twice). We like to call these Adventure Weekends.
Adventure Weekends are when we go somewhere out of the ordinary (i.e., not Columbus or Cleveland). We try new things and go new places, even if we've been to that particular city before. The cities we visit are usually determined by what friends or family we can stay and hang out with once we get there, though every once in a while we do book a cheap hotel room and go out totally on our own.*TANGENT*
The biggest Adventure we have had so far was when we went to Colorado over Memorial Day weekend. Alex and a friend have taken it upon themselves to summit every 14er (a mountain over 14,000 feet) in Colorado. There are 53, and I think they've done about 20. I love hiking and camping (though don't get me wrong, I love hotels too). Last spring we decided that it was time for me to conquer my first 14er, and we chose Mount Belford. Located in the Sawatch Range, Mount Belford is the eighteenth highest peak in Colorado with its summit at 14,197 feet. Trust me when I say that climbing a 14er is a physical and mental hell the likes of which I cannot properly describe. Just imagine your leg muscles burning because they are so tired, your lungs gasping for what little oxygen you can suck out of the thin air, and feeling sweaty-gross hot from all the hard work and the multiple layers of clothing but freezing cold from the frigid air at the same time. The snow that begins halfway up the mountain doesn't make things any easier either.
After many, many grueling hours, Alex and I made it to the top. I had led and he had followed the whole way, which was very gracious of him since I know I moved a lot slower than he would have on his own. I learned a lot about myself as I led us up that mountain. Only once did I turn around and say, "I don't think I can do this." And only once did he put his hands on my shoulders and reply, "I know you can do this, but we can turn back if you want." I always had the choice to go back, but I knew I had to finish even if it meant stopping every twenty feet to catch my breath and rest my legs. I had to summit and conquer the mountain. I wanted so badly to sign my name in the log and take pictures looking down on the whole world beneath me. After hiking up 12,000 feet the first day, spending the night in a small clearing, then trekking the rest of the way up Mount Belford at 6 o'clock the next morning, we reached the peak. I shed a few tears at the top because fuck, that was hard. It felt incredible though...like I could do absolutely anything in the world if I just set my mind to it (I apologize for all the corniness here).

*END TANGENT*
Anyway, THAT is an Adventure Weekend. Doing something new and crazy and different and fun (or at least worth it in the end). Even when Alex and I just go to Cleveland or Columbus for the weekend, we try to go to new restaurants, exhibits, parts of town, or anywhere else that makes life a little more interesting. (I think maybe I have a serious fear of becoming boring, but that can wait for another post.)
This weekend is an Adventure Weekend. I'm leaving for Chicago in a few hours (unless the snow delays my flight, in which case, UGHHH SNOW I HATE YOUUU! SO MUCH ANGST!). We have some really fun touristy stuff planned, and we'll see a few friends while we're there. I'm so excited! I have had Sufjan Stevens' "Chicago" and Frank Sinatra's "My Kind of Town" stuck in my head all day long. To those of you who live there, if you see a short gal in a red coat prancing around and looking sublimely happy, that's me.
Have a great weekend!
24 comments:
1. I *love* adventure weekends! Right now I can't afford flights, though, (parking at Hartsfield is OUTRAGEOUS and I don't have enough frequent flyer miles!) so Kyle and I just have to stick with the state parks and parent-sponsored ventures :)
2. Is that the Full House neighborhood?
3. Have fun in Chicago!
My beau and I love to travel, too. He's from Minneapolis and I live only half an hour from our schools in Indiana, so over breaks, we've been known to travel to see each other. However, a couple months ago we flew to Seattle and it was SO MUCH FUN. We've done Chicago a few times (2.5 hour train ride), and the Michigan shore of Lake Michigan (1 hour car ride)... but Chicago is so beautiful this time of year. I hear there's ice skating at Millennium Park!
Enjoy your weekend and tell the Windy City that I'll see it soon!
i loved this post so much, virginia.
the story about you climbing your first 14er is so inspirational. you so fierce, girl! i want to climb one now =)
i love how you and your boyfriend use your weekends so well. that's really inspirational too!
have so, so much fun in chicago! it's such a fun city. and maybe, just maybe, if i see a petit gal in a red coat at MILLENIUM PARK ice skating (me and my boyfriend are planning on going this weekend too! our apartment is less than a block away) i will just have to say hello! =)
That's it. It's official. All of my mini-vacations are going to be called Adventure Weekends from now on because I just love the phrase so much.
Adventure Weekends, here I come!
I love your Adventure Weekends...fun!
By the way, is that first picture of the Full House house?!
You have see all the new stuff I bought. Come look.
How cool! I'm mega jealous. You guys look like the intro to Full House :)
I'm from the lovely colorado, and I'v e climbed quite a few, and I loooove that feeling at the top, you feel like the only one in the world, and on top of everything awesome! I want adventure weekends!
Have fun VA! :)
Have so much fun! Everybody is traveling this weekend, and I'm stuck studying for exams! Booo.
Ps adventure weekends sounds like my kind of thing. Now to procure money and a traveling partner...
I'm so jealous of your relationship. It's not corny at all... it's adorable and so great that you guys have that adventurousness in common and totally utilize it. And I'm way proud of you for climbing that mountain! I couldn't have done that. No way. And I consider myself athletic.
Those are AWESOME pics of you guys!!! I'm assuming they're all framed in your living room, yes?
Have so much fun in Chicago! I'm going in January and can't waittt!
Take lots of pics, too :)
move over jay-z and beyonce, because you two might just be my favorite new couple! that's awesome you get to explore those cities and see new things.. love the pics!
Ohh I need an adventure so badly!
We are SO OVERDUE an Adventure Weekend. I love that you guys do that. This was such a good read. Hope you guys are having fun!
I don't think you're corny at all - it's those things which we continue to work at and accompliosh that we draw so much strwgnth in.I love how you have adventure weekends - it's adorable - and you're right - travel whiel you can. I don;t have any kids and we travel and love it. I was born in Ohio and since you reference it all the tie I have to ask where in Ohio are you from? I moved to California when I was 6 mos old but most my relatives are in Ohio :) Go Buckeyes! Enjoy your trip!
That sounds like so much fun! Once, Joel and I hiked a 12 mile trail in Yosemite in about 8 hours. It was supposed to be a overnight trek, but he forgot to mention that to me. My calves were KILLING me the next day. If they had little machetes they would have, I'm sure.
I did feel like I could conquer the world after that experience. Love it! Have fun....
YOU are something ELSE!
Ok, are you posing in Full House fashion? B/c that is awesome!
http://lspoon.wordpress.com
i thought of full house too when i saw that picture!
and now that i've experienced flying i want to travel so much more. and what a wonderful way to do that and spend time with the one you love. adventure weekends sound like so much fun!!
hope you guys had fun in chicago. :)
That is awesome that you have Adventure Weekends. Jon and I travel a lot right now too for the same reasons that you all do.
Also, Full House is my guilty pleasure...love that photo!
I love that you are totally on the set of Full House in the first photo. I was just waiting for Uncle Jesse to come running over the hill, with little Michelle in tow.
Also, Mark and I are just like you guys - very adventurous and the mountain climbing photo looks exactly like one we have!
my family had adventure weekends, too, but that's just what we called the weekends when my mom was out of town and my dad was in charge. to me, adventure weekends equal a lot of mcdonald's and getting lost hiking.
Post a Comment