It is always so hard to go back to work on Mondays! I feel like I type these same words every Monday, but this week is especially difficult since I still have so much to do and so many people are already gone, celebrating the holidays somewhere, no doubt with a moose-shaped chalice full of spiked egg nog. And I LOVE spiked egg nog.
The highlight of this past weekend didn't actually occur during the weekend at all, but rather during the office's white elephant gag gift exchange on Friday morning before our holiday luncheon. A truly brilliant co-worker wrapped up a cardboard box after nestling a can of spotted dick amongst lots of tissue paper inside. (By the way, for anyone who does not know what spotted dick is, it's a "sponge pudding" substance that usually has raisins in it. Or something. I don't really know, it's a Scottish dessert available to us here in the States by the fine people at Heinz who make my favorite kind of ketchup in the whole wide world, which I could eat all day, but that is another story for another time.)
But do you get it? It was spotted DICK...in a BOX. Genius!! When the lady who chose that gift opened it up, you could see the wheels turning in our heads as we all just sat there for a minute wondering why the heck a can of spotted dick was...inside of a...OH MY GOSH! Hahahahajdsljfksaldfj!That part was funny. But the story gets more awkwardly hilarious. Some of the older employees had never seen the SNL sketch and probably wouldn't know the first thing about Justin Timberlake's gorgeousness or about going on YouTube to check out the video. So our 60-something head of the Foundation department (how do I say nicely that she is sort of loony?) got up, grabbed the box, and proceeded to sing almost the entire song WITH DEMONSTRATIONS on how to (1) cut a hole in the box, (2) put your you-know-what in the box, and so on and so forth, with lots of hip gyrations to boot. Half of us dissolved into hysterics and the other half just stared at her, wide-eyed, jaws all the way to the floor. And yes, this was BEFORE we went to lunch, where there was a cash bar. I don't even know what else to say about that, except that thinking about it still makes me laugh and cringe at the same time.
The rest of the weekend was good. Nothing too crazy or out of control, but it was nice to be in town and not have to worry about whether or not the highly-anticipated snow storms would complicate things. My friend Ethan threw a party at his mom's house on Friday night, because he is dog sitting for her two adorable beagles and also keeping an eye on his 18 year old sister. So of COURSE they threw a party! Duh. And of course 95% of the guests were wild-eyed college freshmen, frothing at the mouth for free beer and the chance to have an impromptu dance party. The rest of us kept Ethan (and the beagles) company and downed the punch he had concocted. When my insides began to curdle painfully from the sugar-gin-vodka-7Up-juice concoction, I looked at my roommates and saw that they were feeling the same way. We hit the road soon after, though not before overhearing one of the freshman girls call a friend just to say how drunk she was, she had had FOUR beers, GAHHH! (Oooh to be young again.)
It snowed a few inches on Saturday before we went to a fun Christmas cocktail party that night (and I wore the sparkly dress again, hooray!). I was really lazy on Sunday, which dammit, I felt I deserved after shoveling the driveway and finally getting some shopping done, including going to the grocery store since I can't survive off toast alone any longer. And now, it's back to work. Baaaack to work. Ugh. Is it Friday yet?
15 comments:
that SNL skit is hilarious. but i have never heard of spotted dick. quite strange really. i had to make a trek to the grocery store this weekend too. who knew it would get so boring living off of toast and peanut butter?
That is too hilarious about the guy singing and demonstrating the skit for everyone! He's probably my new favorite person ever haha
Haha sounds like an awesome holiday party. Minus the spotted dick...eww.
I remember when I was a freshman and I had 5 beers and thought I was going to die. Ahhh the days of being a cheap date :) (who am I kidding? I still am!)
haha, four beers. i love children, don't you?
That pudding stuff is hilarious, why havent I seen it? I think that may beat butt paste!
That pudding is RIDICULOUS
(Spotted) Dick in a Box?! That is absolutely hilarious. Wow. And yay for another chance to wear The Dress!
Haha, that's awesome. I may have to remember that for my white elephant party.
And that episode was definitely on SNL this weekend, love it.
So funny!
Oh and I love that dress - very cute! I was looking at some very similar ones online today for New Years
i'll have to agree that anyone who replicates the skit in public (in front of co-workers no less) wins hands down as favorite person ever.
i'm so excited for my rape whistle, virginia. it can go with the pepper spray keychain my mom gave me!
that's some fierce spotted dick i must say.
and hellllllo? sundays are SUPPOSED to be lazy :)
Another Christmas party and opportunity to wear the sparkly dress? Lucky!
One of my favorite bloggers, Anonymous Coworker, wrote a hilarious blog post about Spotted Dick earlier this year. Check it out: http://www.anonymouscoworker.com/2007/09/25/too-many-penis-jokes-brain-overloaded/
I totally thought that the first picture was of Craig T. Nelson and Woody Harrelson, but I couldn't think of a movie they were in together, and upon closer look, I don't think that it is either of them.
And that really has nothing to do with your post. Which was great, as usual. :)
Dick in a Box is one of the best things SNL has created in the last 5 years. And I can't believe she karaoke-d it! I always die when my mom starts singing it.
Post a Comment