Thursday, December 6, 2007

The Pajamas of Death

I am a petite gal. I always have been, since my petite mom gave birth to me two months early, and I always will be. I think every other vertically-challenged female out there will agree with me when I say that the most difficult part of being just a shade over five feet tall is trying to find clothes that fit properly. Almost every pair of pants needs to be hemmed, every dress needs to be shortened, and every shirt that requires any sort of boobage to fill it out looks ridiculous. Such is my plight.

Yesterday, I visited my favorite store of all time: Target. While I was there picking up various necessities and whatnot, I passed through the girl's section (yes, I do occasionally peruse the girl's section) and my eye fell on the rack of long underwear. Have I mentioned how cold I get in the winter? Because I do. I am not good friends with Circulation. My hands and feet start to feel icy at the mere mention of winter. On top of that, my bedroom is on the ground floor of our apartment, next to the garage. It gets damn cold in there at night when the heat rises to the upper floors, even when I'm curled in the fetal position under my flannel sheets, fleece blanket, and thick comforter. So when I spotted the long underwear in the girl's section, I immediately thought, "Those would make EXCELLENT pajamas!" I convinced myself that they would be warm, they wouldn't bunch around my arms and legs like looser (adult) pajamas would, and I could easily tuck the tapered ankles into my wool socks when the temperature really plummets. (I know I am painting a beautiful picture of what I look like when I sleep...would you like me to talk about my retainer too? Because yes, I definitely still sport that from time to time). So I grabbed a pair of long underwear that were actually sewn for a 14 year old and not a 23 year old, but I just laughed because the whole set was a lovely shade of light blue and only cost $12. And then I went home and slept in them.

Tonight when I was doing laundry, I threw the long underwear in with everything else, because they were a wee bit scratchy and I figured a good wash would soften them up. Plus, it's probably wise to wash pajamas before they're worn, or I don't know, scabies or psoriasis or leprosy could ensue. As I was removing the pants from the dryer, I noticed what was written on the tag:

NOT INTENDED FOR SLEEP!

And to further emphasize their point, the words were BOLD and IN CAPS and surrounded by a BOX (which I could not recreate here in this post, because I am not computer savvy). There might as well have been a skull and crossbones on there too, but the tag would have been a little pressed for space. Anyway, I found this blunt declaration of danger to be quite perplexing. Here were these $12 long johns from the children's section of Target and Cherokee had the gall to tell me not to wear them as pajamas?! What, was I going to burn up if my bed ever caught on fire? Hmm what's this...made of 100% polyester...okay so maybe I would burn up. But then why do they encourage CHILDREN to wear them? What if a real 14 year old was to put these on and sit next to her crush at a church retreat and make s'mores together and she leaned towards the bonfire to show off her master marshmallow-roasting skills and then GAHHHH! FIRE IN HER LONG UNDERWEAR!

I cannot support that. Cherokee, you are dead to me.

With that, I folded the fabric Judas very neatly, dug the tiny hanger and tags out of the trash can, and tried my best to make it look as if I had simply opened the package to try them on. Not to wear them overnight and wash them with the rest of my dirty laundry. I will be returning them to Target on Monday, and I hope to find a much less dangerous (and perhaps softer) pair of pajamas to keep me warm throughout these long winter nights. Maybe something...like this:Thanks LL Bean! You know I love history, now I can pretend to be a part of it too!

23 comments:

Scotty said...

I love Target. The one closest to me has a shopping cart escalator. I love that thing too.

Susie said...

hahaha that nighty is HOT. And definitely wouldn't catch on fire...it might pose to be a tripping hazard, however.

Anonymous said...

Oh target it is the best...and I bet you look darling in that!

Miriam said...

I'm so confused. Why are they not for sleeping?

And I love old fashioney night gowns. I feel you on the icey hands and feet thing. Of course, if I stopped wearing Crocs year round, my feet might not be so cold.


http://lspoon.wordpress.com

Le Petit Chic said...

Ha ha! As a fellow petite (and endlessly freezing!) girl, I can totally empathize with you. Did you know that they still make footy pjs? Maybe those would keep you warm :)

nicole antoinette said...

Have you ever had an electric blanket? They are AMAZING. Even if you don't actually sleep with it on, putting it on like a half hour before you get into bed, and then getting into a totally warm and cozy bed, is like the best thing ever.

t.b.f.love. said...

That's ridiculous! Pajamas not only "not intended" for sleep, but dangerous? Seriously, go with the nighty, fellow history nerd - at least it won't kill you while you sleep.

Anonymous said...

I always have tears from laughing too hard!! Your life was literally in danger!

I'm always freezing, my hands sometimes turn a funny shade of red when it really gets to me. I'm also rather petite but I have an OK height. When it comes to staying warm at home I stick with Old Navy's fleece pants or flannel pajama pants, they really do the trick for me!

Elle said...

Hi! I really like your blog - I'm also another member of the "gets really cold all the time" club - I hate it - and my electricity/gas bill sure hates it too!

Katelin said...

Haha, VA I always laugh out loud reading your posts, I love it. "the fabric Judas", you're too much :)

Lisa said...

Perhaps your best post ever! I cracked up so many times. I am not friends with circulation. Or the girl on her church retreat. Haha you're terrific!

Anonymous said...

i agree with lisa - this post is so great! i was laughing through the whole thing. and, um, i loved the last line bc i too love history and maybe as a young girl, i didn't want the american dolls themselves but i wanted the accompanying outfits you could get to wear? (samantha's and kirsten's) just maybe.

hold on,i'm STILL laughing and having a hard time organizing my thoughts.

nicole is so right about the electronic blankets. they are deliciously amazing.

oh, and a prairie fire shot (by the way, i laughed really hard at your description of what you thought it could be... it sounds so cute!) is a shot of tequila with drops of tabasco sauce in it. i've had this shot far more times than anyone ever should.

Anonymous said...

oh! i totally forgot that you'll be in the chi *so soon* ... have a safe flight! and so much fun!!

Renee said...

I often find myself browsing the little kids' sections. (The little boys have such cute sweaters that totally fit.) I worked at Limited Too in high school and used to use my discount for myself and the snobby high school girls thought I was weird. What now, bitches? I'm saving money AND I look delightfully trendy! (Thank god I'm not the only one.)

Larissa said...

This post is HILARIOUS. You know you've got skills when you can make pajamas an interesting topic :)

Eyes As Windows said...

Those kind of tags really frighten me! What do you mean I can' sleep in them... like when i'm insanely still for 7 hours and they are completely dangerous... so I should move around in them all day, and thats just fine? WHY?!

Lindz said...

Oh my gosh that is straight from little house on the prairie! But I feel you, I'm a "shade" over five foot as well and man clothes just arent made for us, especially PJs.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but I think I'm going to add to your confusion. You see, I did the exact same thing today. In fact, that's how I found your blog. I googled, "not for sleep long underwear Target." But mine are from the boys section. Anyway, it's not because they're polyester. How do I know? Because I bought 2 pair: a polyester set in gold/beige, and a 100% cotton set in green. And the cotton set has that same alarming disclaimer, on the tag and on the garment itself! I am so, SO confused. I examined them for a full 10 minutes trying to figure out what could be dangerous about sleeping in the things. Because EVERYTHING else I've ever slept in, that apparently IS intended for sleep, has been 100% cotton! (The polyester ones you provide a good explanation for though). So, anyone, PLEASE help if you have the answer. In fact, PLEASE email me if you do. rdaya at smu dot edu.

Anonymous said...

Oh my! Sorry to bother you again but it seems you are totally correct. Even though I guess it won't totally melt and stick to you like polyester, 100% cotton is definitely flammable. And apparently there's a new law that says children's pajamas must be FLAME RETARDANT. http://www.cpsc.gov/businfo/frnotices/fr96/frsleeplg.html But, I think that since I've never seen flame retardant pj's for adults (that law doesn't apply to our garments), you would be just as safe to sleep in those as you would anything else you bought intended as sleepwear. I'm going to keep mine now. ;-)

Michelle and the City said...

lol. this post cracked me up. but rkd15 is actually right. i used to work at a children's clothing store and the warning is for children only. their sleepwear must be flame retardent especially kids under 2/still in a crib. you don't have anything to worry about.

maren said...

i would recommend the girls sweatpants offered at target. i recently purchased a pair and have had many nights of comfortable, warm sleep (for the low price of $7)-- they don't come with any kind of heat-retaining top, but they are also acceptable for sleeping. :) or go with the suggestion above for the footie pajamas, although i was going to get a pair of those and the legs were too long for me :(

Maxie said...

we need to switch apartments. I live upstairs and there are like 10 windows in my room so it's always SO HOT. it's ridiculous.

I used to have Kirsten's nightgown from the American Girl Dolls collection...you definitely need to get one...it's very "prairie chic."

http://store.americangirl.com/agshop/html/ProductPage.jsf/itemId/102621/itemType/STYHDR/webTemplateId/3/uniqueId/219/saleGroupId/173

Therapeutic Ramblings said...

I *love* this entry. Btw...petite women are awesome, except for the whole shopping for clothes thing. One of my ex's loved to shop at Deliah's...it sorta creeped me out and I told her that she needed to shop at adult stores. (She was 4'11"-5'0"). Good times!