Monday, February 4, 2008

Mission: Accomplished

On Saturday, as I passed a glass of water to my friend Maren under the bathroom stall door at Lodge Bar, I knew that we had succeeded. Succeeded in having an amazing night, that is. (Fear not, she was not seriously ill...all the dancing got her a little worked up and she started to feel queasy, that's all. Happens to the best of us.)

It had been a long time since Margo, my wild college alter-ego, had shown her face 'round these parts and she was itching to come out. Do you ever get together with your friends on a Saturday night, and someone says, "You know, it's been a while since we really went balls-to-the-wall," then everyone gets a twinkle in their eye, smiles slyly, and pours a little more rum in their diet coke? Well, that was Saturday night for my friends and me.

The weekend started off as harmless as any other. As I pulled into the driveway after work on Friday, I was worn out and ready to kick back and relax. The regular crew got together and we made homemade pizzas for dinner, which were amazing and left me in a happy food coma. We played rousing games of Apples to Apples and Catch Phrase until I started to fall asleep on the couch. I was exhausted...though I'm sure all of that sangria did not do anything to help my already-heavy eyelids.

Saturday was deliciously lazy. I slept in, then dozed in my favorite sunny armchair while catching up on my guilty DVR pleasure, Ghost Whisperer. I met wonderful Michelle from Michelle & the City for lunch and 27 Dresses, which was absolutely fabulous. James Marsden, consider yourself warned that I now have an unhealthy crush on you. And Michelle, I have a crush on you too. Drinks soon please?

All the girls came over to our place on Saturday night, and that was when we decided that this was it. We were going to go to one of the sketchy bars downtown, and we were going to dance to the live music, forget our cares, and have a darn good time. The excuse, as if we really needed one, was that it was my half birthday. And is there a reason NOT to go balls-to-the-wall when you turn 23 and a half? Um, I think not. The night was fabulous. We wore sequins and short dresses and very high heels. We danced with utter abandon. We drank and chatted up guys while waiting for the bartenders to pour us another round. (I legitimately thought one guy was in the Army until someone pointed out that his hoodie was just camouflage-patterned, and I should really stop asking him what sort of weapons he'd used.) We took some pictures that are probably so bad that they aren't even Facebook-worthy. And when the clock struck 2am, we bought gyros from the vendors out on the street to make the three-block walk home a little easier.

After I left Alex a ten minute garbled voicemail about how yummy and dangerously thrilling it was to eat oatmeal in my bed, how Quaker's Apple Cinnamon was truly God's gift to mankind, and oh right I miss you can you come over? I laid my head on my pillow and thought to myself, "That was one fucking great night."

And now you all think I'm a serious drunkard, but you know what? It's Monday and I don't have the energy to deny it. Think what you will.

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, gyros at 2am from a street vendor sounds like absolute heaven to me :)

Stephanie said...

Your Saturday night sounds absolutely AWESOME. Mine was spent on the couch watching HGTV and doing my taxes.

The oatmeal message to Alex? Sounds like something I'd do. I love it!

Scotty said...

Drunken messages are absolutely super. No denying that one.

Sounds like you had an awesome night to me!

Michelle and the City said...

well virginia, the feeling is definitely mutual.

drinks soon is a must. and apples to apples AND lodge bar in one night? two of my favorite things. i think we were meant to be friends.

Anonymous said...

Your weekend sounds pretty damn good! Sometimes you gotta bring back your alter-ego...if only to remind yourself that she still exists in you somewhere, underneath all the responsibilities!

Lisa said...

I love that her name is Margot. It cracks me up seriously.

And it's been a while since I went balls to the wall. I need to get back on the train. I'll wear Margot's shoes this weekend

Anonymous said...

my friends and i also have a pattern of taking things to the nth degree when we haven't been crazy in a while that we simply say: we're going b to the w tonight. B TO THE W.

hey. come to chicago. immediately please. fellow drunkards must stick together.

B said...

hahaha. this made me laugh and smile. I love happy weekends!

Renee said...

My drunken alter ego is named Joanie. She used to be a bit of a lip slut, but she's cleaned up her act since she's been back in the States.

Congrats on successfully going balls to the walls this weekend!

Anonymous said...

that is outstanding :) Especially the part about the army dude ;)

Kiki said...

wow, your hair really IS long! I like :)

S said...

Sounds like a blast... I'm jealous

Katelin said...

Sounds like a fabulous weekend, I'm just a wee bit jealous :)

pps. You hair is so dark and long, I like it.

maren said...

hahahaha. a few comments:
a) i love the pic in this post
b) thank you again for watering me in the midst of my 20-second sickness
c) some of the pictures are DEFINITELY facebook worthy and will promptly be posted this evening :)

The Ex said...

Sounds. So. Fun. You look adorable!

Who? Me? said...

Yay for drinks on Tuesday!

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

...I think thats awesome. lol. Sounds like a good weekend ot be, definitely. and I love, LOVE Apple to Apples, especially when the losers have ot take SHOTS. it can be a short, but exciting game.

brandy said...

I think this was exactly what I needed to read today. I didn't go out at all this weekend but suddenly feel like, I need to get my party on. Immediately. As in, tonight. My Monday night party is always worse than the weekend one anyway. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that if you are going out on a Monday night and are already going to be hungover the next day, it's best to do it well (re: with complete abandon)?

Vanessa said...

The only thing I think is I wish I was there, sounds like too much fun. And? I love Apples to Apples!

nicole antoinette said...

I haven't had a night like that in SO long. That's it, you've inspired me. This coming weekend it's BALLS TO THE WALL. I just have to get through the week first...

Anonymous said...

James Marsden is yummy. I also loved him in The Notebook.

I am very jealous of your drunken Saturday night.

Susie said...

Aww yay, that sounds like an awesome weekend!! And so cool that you met Michelle :)

Crazy drunken weekends are a MUST once in a while. No matter how old you are. Well, maybe they should stop once you have children. I guess.

ANA said...

James Marsden, remembering The Notebook *ah the hotness*

You weekend sounds like a lot of fun, I wish I was there. Well, I too was drunk in my little corner of this universe :)

Donna said...

Hahaha. Sounds like a great weekend.
Haven't had one of those since the second kid.
I will again . . . as God is my witnes . . .

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fantastic weekend! I just stuck by home, so let's say I lived through you. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow. Sounds like a great weekend. When you're drunk, I'm sure anything edible is god's gift to mankind. ;-)

Jamie Lovely said...

dude go to my blog and find out why you and i are awesome haha.

Anonymous said...

I love nights like that! Sounds like you had an amazing time.

Anonymous said...

this made me miss the lodge bar so freaking much.

and night like that with my cbus besties.

me thinks i need to take a trip very soon...

and oh, the drunkdials? right there with ya sistah. right there with ya.

Le Petit Chic said...

Oh, it's been such a long time since I've had one of those nights. What a great night!