Tuesday, February 26, 2008

I Almost Wore a Tube Top as a Dress

Alternatively titled, "I have completely lost it."

Y'all, I am tired.

[I wrote that three minutes ago and have been staring blankly at the...well, the blank screen ever since.]

Last week was my last week EVER at my old job, which was thrilling but involved the wrapping up of a lot of things, making detailed instructions for my successor (poor soul), meetings, more meetings, a lengthy exit interview, and finally a going away party with cupcakes and a failed attempt at an I'm-going-to-embarrass-you-tee-hee! type speech by my boss. (Thank goodness she will never know just how much of my day was spent meandering the Internets.)

The entire week wore me out. I was still feeling out of it on Saturday (by the way, WHEN DID MY AMAZING ABILITY TO SLEEP UNTIL NOON DISAPPEAR?! WHY DO I AUTOMATICALLY WAKE UP AT 7???). That night, the combination of being exhausted and still a bit sick--as well as an extremely strong pre-game drink--almost led to a disastrous fashion mishap.

I had one of those Saturday nights where I tried on every shirt, every pair of pants, every dress in my closet and nothing worked. I wasn't really having a Fat Day, it was more of an I Just Hate Every Article of Clothing I Own Day. This happens to everyone, right? Anyway, I have this tube top (the words automatically make me think of the Ohio State Fair...ugh) that I found for $2 at a cute little boutique, and I admit that I don't think I've ever worn it. It's weird...tight at the top, tight at the bottom, and lots of fabric in between (which in theory would be very nice for Fat Days). Saturday night, after I'd already downed one extremely strong pre-game beverage, I was getting frustrated. SO frustrated. I'd clearly crossed the point of no return when it comes to rational clothing choices when I put on the tube top, added the leggings underneath, pulled the bottom of the tube top down over my toosh, and yanked on a pair of black boots.

I stared at myself in the full-length mirror for a few minutes. Partly because that's how long it took to focus through the foggy vodka haze, and partly because hey maybe this WORKS! Then, harsh reality kicked in and I remembered that I was a far classier broad that Lindsay Lohan and I should just put on my damn jeans and a tank top already and be done with it. Disaster averted.

See? This tiredness leads to craziness. On top of a draining week last week, I began my new job yesterday. Minus the fact that I have no one to eat lunch with, this has me excited to the core of my very being. (Really. I don't sound excited, but I am. The exclamation point button doesn't work when I'm about to fall asleep.) I had conveniently forgotten how much it sucks to be the new kid. I don't know how to do anything. My co-workers (all three of them...yes, it's a small office) are very nice and I look forward to getting to know them better, but that's only if they don't staple my mouth shut to keep me from asking them more questions. And I have no idea what to do on my lunch hour, because it only takes me two minutes to scarf down the items I've packed and 58 minutes to wonder what the heck I'm supposed to do now.

It's sort of like high school again, and I'm the weird freshman. And I only have three classmates.

I know, I know, this too shall pass, I'll get the hang of it soon enough, and I should be worried if I stepped into a completely new job and knew how to do everything right away. I know this. But it's still rough and at the end of the day, all I want to do is come home and crash with a nice bowl of comforting spaghetti and watch some mind-numbing tv. As much as I adore the blogging world and all of you wonderful people (whom I really do love and miss) in it, the thought of looking at a computer for one more minute makes me want to hurl it at the wall.

So I apologize for being a bit MIA last week, and this week too. I hope to get my blogging mojo back soon, like maybe this weekend when I can catch up on sleep, because no matter how many Tylenol PM's it takes, as God as my witness, I'll never wake up at 7am on a Saturday again!

[insert mental picture of me shaking fist at the heavens, dressed as Scarlett O'Hara, with a bottle of pills in one hand and my pillow in another]

35 comments:

AP said...

eek. I have just begun applying for 'real world jobs' and that whole newbie aspect scares me like no other.

and I'd be mad at waking up at 7am on a Saturday too! too early!

Jamie Lovely said...

Yay! I'm so glad you're excited about the new job. It will all get even better!

SLynnRo said...

The loss of that sleep late ability?

Means you are officially old. I know, I hate to break it you. It happened to me years ago.

Renee said...

I've almost made the tube top as dress mistake, too. But I finally got it together and said, "Really Renee? Let's compromise. Tube top and skinny jeans."

Then I untagged every pic of the outfit on facebook.

Michelle and the City said...

you were sick too?! ugh it really is going around.

i have a few shirts that are long enough to pull down and be a dress. and i've been tempted before, but like you, made the wise choice at the last minute not to.

Stephanie said...

Glad you didn't go the Lindsay Lohan route. Because if you did, I'm sure someone would've taken pictures to document and if there are photos, there is no denying.

Hang in there - it's already Wednesday! And the new kid on the block feeling will eventually fade. I know what it's like to be the new kid on a very, very small block. I have ONE other coworker, who is also my boss. ONE.

Kiki said...

I still eat lunch alone, too. Maybe we should conference call?

B said...

Hey, if it works? It works. Sometimes tubies are meant to be stretched.

Susie said...

Congrats on your new job! It will definitely get better...it's just that annoying hi, I'm the new girl phase.

And I sooo know what you mean by NOT wanting to stare at the computer at the end of your day. Yesterday I was thinking about how nice it would be if I didn't have a computer at home and couldn't go on it at night. And I NEVER have thoughts like that!!

Katelin said...

I usually eat by myself too at my desk. Or wander the office sometimes. It's totally okay, haha.

But congrats on the new job, I hope there are some good stories to come.:)

B2G said...

Um, I know this is going to be the weirdest comment of the day... but be careful with the Tylenol PMs, k?

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with mind-numbing TV. NOTHING. :)

Anonymous said...

I have a lot of those "I have every article of clothing I own" days.

Yay for the new job! Glad you're enjoying it so far :)

Anonymous said...

I remember the lunch hour feeling. The what do I do? I hated it and just started reading more.

And the "I hate everything I own" sensation happens to me once a week :)

Anonymous said...

I really did laugh at your complaint against waking up at 7 on Saturdays. I feel you. No matter how hard I try, I can't sleep any later than 8 AM on the weekends. It's frustrating. But then I remembered that I read somewhere that you shouldn't vary your sleeping schedule by more than an hour or so on the weekends -- or you'll feel tired all week.

But then again, you're also reading a comment from someone who has gone to sleep NO LATER than 9 pm all week. HA.HA.

shelleycoughlin said...

Oh man, I hate the days when everything in my closet makes me feel like a Super Frump. Nothing a little shopping can't take care of!

Anonymous said...

I dream of the day I get to have my last day of work party.... CONGRATS!!! Hopefully for us your new job will give you ample time to roam the internet as well!

nicole antoinette said...

BEING NEW SUCKS.

Yes, that deserved all caps because that's how strongly I feel about the suckfest that is being new at a job. Just know that you're so smart and talented and that you'll catch on quickly. Until then? people would much rather you be engaged and ask lots of questions than try to do it blindly and mess up.

ANA said...

Congratulations!!! I'm sure it will get better with time. Being new can make you feel a little like a sore thumb. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll soon break into it and without the bites.

Vanessa said...

Awww, Virginia! First, congrats on the new job. I'm so glad its working out for you. Give it a few weeks / months and it will feel like old hat. In the meantime, enjoy the spaghetti. If you like it with a little sweet touch, try a dash of maple syrup on the sauce mixed in. Its awesome!

Anonymous said...

You said Ohio State fair not me..lol..you had me laughig so hard! Hang in there this too shall pass - new jobs are always a bit difficult to start but you're rocking out and doing it so I am proud of you!

Le Petit Chic said...

The first week at a job is always the hardest because you don't even know where the bathroom is and have to rely on kind coworkers to show you the way on most things. Just think, it's already Thursday so you are almost done with your first week. You need a celebratory drink!

t.b.f.love. said...

Congratulations and good luck as you get used to your new job!It's wonderful that you like this new job, and you're right - this too shall pass, and then it'll be fine.

longredcape said...

I'm going through the EXACT same thing. I am so tired when I get home I just want to put on some sweatpants and eat ice cream. Or olives.

Anonymous said...

hooray for new job! i'm so excited for you!

and hiiii - i make weird, inexcusable fashion choices alwayssss. we would have so much fun together. come to chicago! let's play.

and also. here's to both of us getting our bloggy mojo back. does this involve a caribbean island and taye diggs? no?

Thomas said...

Yeah, I am thinking we are going to need a real picture and not one of those "mental pictures."

Julie Q said...

omg how annoying is it when you wake up at 7 on the weekends!! even if its a holiday- i can't sleep in. But if i'm pressing the snooze alarm on a work morning, I feel like I could stay in bed til 4pm.

Erin said...

I've lost my ability to sleep in on Saturdays, and I'm still in college. Not fun.

And the whole trying on every piece of clothing in your closet thing? It happens EVERY TIME my roommate and I are planning to go out. I hate it.

Good luck with the new job! I hope you're far less tired now!

Elise said...

It's the curse of that tunic-length thing! Is it a top or a dress? Top or dress? I think you proved, once and for all, that the best choice is to go with the jeans, call it a top, and be free of the scary post-event pics :)

Ticket 4 Two said...

I miiiissss you. Please return.


p.s. Hope all is well!

p.p.s. Like I have any room to talk. I blogged only SIX times last month...and the month before that...

Anonymous said...

Erm. Where are you?

tiff said...

miss you!

Anonymous said...

Fat Saturdays I know well! I never even want to go out on a night if I get those. Sitting in a dark cinema with some ice cream is the best option, I find!

Kingshuk said...

nice blogs.. Congrats!

Britni said...

I have the Hate Everything in My Closet days pretty much every day. Sounds like it's time to get a new wardrobe.

JD said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA! You almost made my blog with your shirtordress! Hehehehe! Glad you caught yourself and this post is HILARIOUS.