The other day, Jamie at Oh! How Lovely held a contest to promote an up-and-coming author, and the contest was to share the craziest thing we have ever done for love. There have been some really crazy-pants things that I have done for boyfriends over the years, including becoming totally depressed and alientating myself from my family and friends because I didn't want to listen to what they had to say about the destructive relationship that I was in (I was so emo). And one year my roommates and I gave a box of poop to Alex and his friends because we were spittin' mad (it's a story of tough-love and important lessons).
But that's not funny. Actually, the poop story is VERY funny. But anyhoodle, I decided to share a story about friendship-love rather than boyfriend-love on Jamie's blog, because it's truly fantastic and deserves a post here as well. It is the story of how I once got pulled over for stalking. (Please take notes, as I'm SURE you will be in a similar situation someday.)
Four days after I turned 16 and got my driver’s license, this girl Jenny was having a birthday party. My BFF Kim hadn’t been invited to the party, so our small group decided that we would rebel and NONE of us would go to the party (and we later learned that her invite had legitimately gotten lost in the mail, because it arrived about two months later). Instead, like we did every weekend in high school, we just drove around town with the windows wide open, blasting Nelly and Ludacris and feeling extremely cool (ummm right). Then we decided to drive past Jenny’s house, because maybe we'd be able to see in the windows and find out how super LAME-O the party was without us there.
Well, we ended up driving past the house about fifty times (seriously) because I don’t know, we were drunk off Nelly and diet coke. And gas was still only $1.11 a gallon so we could do whatever we wanted BIOTCH! And I maaaybe might have turned the headlights off for a couple of the drive-bys...you know, to spice things up.
We finally decided that this was stupid and watching Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion would be more fun. We agreed to drive by the house one more time. Really, it was going to be our last time. As we passed Jenny’s driveway, a car pulled out and began to follow us. I figured it was one of our guy friends being silly. There is no traffic in the 'burbs at night, so I sped up and raced through four stop signs, all of us giggling hysterically. Then the police lights came on.
Yes, I got pulled over for stalking and running four stop signs. Four days after I turned 16. I was obviously mortified when the cops said that they had gotten complaints of a scary vehicle driving around without the headlights on, and as tears welled up in my eyes, I denied vehemently that it was us. Come on, my mom's Explorer was NOT scary, it's not like it was a fifteen-passenger van with spraypaint over the windows. And um of course, it was NOT US doing that, Officer.
I got off with only a warning and the cops actually laughed a little once they made sure there was no booze in my car, but I think that might be the most insane thing I ever did for friendship-love.
Other than the poop-in-a-box story, which I will share (hopefully with the help of Katelin) on Monday.
Have a great weekend!
17 comments:
Hahaha... you are so ridiculous. I'm positive we would have been best friends if we grew up together.
Oh, how I miss the days when it cost me $10 to fill my gas tank. Sure, it was a Geo, but even if I'd had a bigger car, it wouldn't have exceeded the $15 mark. For seriously.
my senior year of high school gas was $.98/gallon! I would like take drives, just to take drives! it was awesome.
As is this story.
Ahh, weekends of driving around to Nelly and Luda. I remember so well.
Also, remember when $5 of gas would give you almost half a tank? Or another few hours of pointless driving?
My town was so small that there's only one main strip (Main St. - how appropriately named) that EVERYONE drives back and forth, back and forth all weekend. We called it the Hickville 500.
This story makes me laugh every time. I love it. :)
That's hysterical. And the poop-in-the box story sounds like it's in a category all it's own...can't wait to read :)
yes you HAVE to share the poop story bc without even knowing what happens i know it will be hilarious.
I read this in the comments of Jamie's blog and I died laughing. And now I must hear the poop story.
Sounds like you may need a lawyer and wouldn't you know it? I'm one of those lawyer dudes.
oh how and HOW i have missed you!
i've been so busy this week and have had no time to visit any blogs but i can't wait to catch up with yours!!
this post was hilarious (as ALWAYS - you are the funniest). happy belated valentine's day!
and i think i see sawyer and some reference to the ADAMS (as in our second man in chief and first lady, not addams like the christina ricci people) down below?
i'm excited.
hahah i love it!
You're so funny.
So, I'm wondering what the cops were saying when they got back in their car.
Stephanie - Hickville 500. *heehee* I can relate about the only street being named Main Street. Wonder how long that meeting took.
Ohhh man. I totally did SO much random stalking in high school. I miss those days...you felt like you were so bad ass driving around town with your friends trying to stalk people!
I AM SO GLAD THAT THE COPS WERE SO COOL ABOUT THAT. IT COULD HAVE WENT DOWN HORRIBLY.
I <3 it. I really miss cruising through town with the windows down and the bass all the way up.
You seriously have the funniest stories. And ah yes, I remember when I used to put $3 worth in my gas tank.
Wow, that is hilarious, Virginia! I think we all do stupid things when we get our license. The first week I had mine, I got in trouble with the local neighborhood security guard for riding around repeatedly "with no destination in mind". I mean damn, I just wanted to DRIVE!
Post a Comment