Friday, February 22, 2008

From the Drawer of Forgotten Stuff

Dear Virginia,

Remember me? Silver Pen? I was given to you yesterday during your going away party at the office? There is still a little bit of vanilla cupcake frosting on me? Green Marble Paperweight and I are a little hurt that we've so quickly been relegated to the junk drawer in your nightstand. Maybe you can't see me, nestled here between all these iPod cords, your passport, and a ruler that lists the complete works of William Shakespeare in chronological order? I'm trying to stay shiny--keep my spirits high--in the hopes that someday soon you realize what a treasure I am and remove me from the Drawer of Forgotten Stuff.

Is it because I hurt your feelings? Green Marble Paperweight and I didn't mean to make you feel like a 65 year old man heading off to a sunny retirement in Florida. We had the best intentions, even if we are...you know...totally useless. Heck, Christmas is only ten months away, maybe you could regift us to a more WORTHY recipient. Say, your father. Grandfather. A lucky uncle. I'm sure they would be happy to have us and would actually give us a place of honor atop their desks.

Oh Virginia, I take that back please don't hate me. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you at all. Like any inanimate object, I just want to be used, abused, and then tossed aside. I want my fifteen minutes in the sun. And so, I have penned you a haiku:

Paperweight and pen
Alone in the junk drawer
We just want some love

Sincerely yours,
Silver Pen

20 comments:

Lisa said...

a lucky uncle? you crack me up.

Anonymous said...

They gave you a pen and a paperweight? Wow. This makes me think that maybe you are some creepy 40 year old man posing as a 20 somethings girl. I mean why else would they give you those things as a going away present? :)

Katelin said...

Haha, oh VA you crack me up.

Happy end of your job! Woo!

S said...

Gee your ex-work colleagues sound like a right blast. I bet the work parties were a real hoot!

B2G said...

Hahaha... you nerd. I heart you.

Vanessa said...

You're too funny! Now go show that pen some love!

ANA said...

Hahahaha you crack me up!
Have a great weekend.

Hillary said...

Erm ... who needs a paperweight? I have never understood this. Unless your office is in a wind tunnel, of course.
Also - why are they giving you office supplies if you're leaving your job?

Maxie said...

hahaha. I love it.

You know I actually feel bad for inadament objects. Especially stuffed animals. Isn't that sad?

Renee said...

Duuuude, novelty rulers are the best!! Might I say, they RULE.

Andrea said...

The things my drawer of forgotten stuff would say... I liked this a lot!

Emily Main said...

I can't get over lspoon's comment now! ha.

Have you read this blog? It is sort of about this sort of thing ... Kind of fun to read about what she pulls out of drawers and their history and such...

Emily Main said...

I meant this blog ... sorry

Susie said...

Awww that's soo annoying though. You'd think they could actually, gasp, put some thought into it and give you something you'll actually like andm aybe even use too!
Duhhh why bother?

Anonymous said...

I loved thi - very funny!I definitely have my own DOFS...

Passionista said...

First time reader here. Letter is hilarious. What have you done with the pen since then?

The Underpaid Princess said...

I say you're fine as long as you always proudly display any Dundy awards you may earn.

Julie Q said...

yay this means you're all done with your old job! Congrats :)

Thomas said...

I got a red stapler when I left my last job.

Le Petit Chic said...

Dude, I got that same silver pen when I left my job! HA!