Sunday, March 16, 2008

Meet Virginia

Oh hi there.

I wish I had some super-exciting story about how I won the lottery...or the HGTV DreamHome...or a yacht and was forced at knifepoint to sail around the world, and that's why I haven't been able to post anything for the past few weeks. But no. Life has been busy, yet fairly normal (minus that freak blizzard here in Ohio last weekend, but at least my driver's side mirror was the only casualty).
I am currently sitting on my bed next to Alex, sipping a "fine blackberry wine" (i.e., grape juice spiked with moonshine) that we picked up at the Tamarack rest stop in West Virginia this afternoon, and listening to a bagpipe wail Scotland the Brave over my speakers because it is the only remotely St. Patrick's Day-related song that I own. And yes, I realize that it's called SCOTLAND the Brave, not IRELAND the Brave. But I drank enough green beer this weekend while visiting my little sister in college that I feel like Saint Patrick would definitely be proud. "The beirut ball is over there, Virginia."

The past few weeks have been absolutely crazy. I started my new job at a local magazine, and lo and behold, learned that there are indeed jobs out here in the real world that don't allow endless hours to peruse blogs and write posts every day. (Ummmm WHAT?!) So the combination of frantically trying to learn all I can about my new position (which I truly do LOVE), work much longer hours than I am used to, and still try to make it to the gym to combat the sluggish metabolism my body has suddenly decided to adopt have left me exhausted and with very little time to blog.

I know this is no excuse. I know that I suck. But to be perfectly honest, it was sort of nice to take a hiatus and not think about the bloggy world for a little bit. To not worry about how many comments I received on my posts, whose blogs I had to follow, what I ought to write about that other people would find entertaining, etc. I think I got really caught up in it all and forgot about the important stuff--that my blog, as much as I love all who read it, is for ME. It's a way to relax and rehash my thoughts/life, as well as meet some awesome people who I hope so dearly to meet in person someday. I just needed a break from it all.

Enough about all of that. I'm back, be-fuddled mind and all. Case and point, I just ran a load of laundry and forgot to put in any soap. Now everything smells like hot sauce (Alex spilled it all over his shirt last night at midnight when we were drunk and decided that Triscuits + swiss cheese + hot sauce was a really good idea).

(It was not a good idea.)

So I need to go do more laundry, otherwise tomorrow might be the first day I go to the office either sans shirt or wearing the last thing in my drawer, which happens to be a sequined black tube top. Nobody needs to see that on a Monday morning.

40 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cracked up at the Tamarak comment. I didn't know anyone actually stopped there!

Anonymous said...

i'm so glad you're back. i missed-ed you. lotsly.

xo

Larissa said...

Hi, lovely!

Glad to hear you're loving the new job, and enjoying a blog break. Miss you, though!

Chris said...

Actually, I think everyone'd want to see that.

And I MISSED YOU! I'm so glad you love the new job!

James Ink said...

Welcome back. Glad to hear the new job is going well to.

Maxie said...

Yay for getting sketchy wine in WV :-)

Glad your job is fabulous!

B said...

congrats on the newly acquired job!!

longredcape said...

The same thing happened to me when I got my new job. I had TONS of stuff to do and didn't even really miss blogging. I'm back now, though. I guess I've gotten into the swing of things again.

I hope your laundry situation righted itself!

Anonymous said...

No, there is no such thing as a job where you can't dick around all day and still get paid for 8 hours of work instead of getting fired. I refuse to believe such a thing exists. :)

Stephanie said...

Sounds like things have been quite busy in your neck of the woods! We're glad to have you back though!

Michelle and the City said...

well i'm glad to see you're back! i was worried you were still buried in a snowdrift somewhere. crazy storm, eh?

Dolce said...

I'm glad your back! I hope the new job is treating you well.

nicole antoinette said...

Blog break, smlog break. I'm so glad you're back! And very happy to hear that the new job is going well and that everything is busy and exciting :)

Anonymous said...

We missed you!

When's happy hour?

shelleycoughlin said...

That storm picture looks like a fake backdrop! Crazy. Glad the new job is going well, and thanks for the tip on the "blackberry wine".

Megan said...

Congratulations on the new job! You've certainly been missed. And I think that the sequined tube top is more of a "Thursday" look, no?

Vanessa said...

Glad the new job is going well. Welcome back!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back and congrats again on the new job. Try to at least blog on weekends ... we miss you!

Julie Q said...

hey- as long as you love your new job, thats all that matters!! :)g

Liz said...

You drank beer? I am so proud!

Tina Poe said...

Brrr, that photo looks creepy and cold. I'm glad you and your new job are getting along! But I don't want to believe you about some jobs not leaving enough time to blog, that's just wrong.

tiff said...

aiiiiieee! I didn't say welcome back yet. Missed ya! Was wondering if something was wrong with my Reader, but glad to know you're just busy.

Passionista said...

Welcome back! I need a job to love. I also enjoy hiatuses from blog life sometimes, but I find myself guilty for the posts I miss.

Bogart said...

There are times that Hot Sauce is a suitable cologne...right?

alexa @clevelandsaplum said...

whoa. where was that pic taken?!? also, whatcha always doing in cleveland??

ANA said...

Glad to hear the job's going good. Where's the pic taken? It is chill inducing, even though I am sitting in a sunny cafe in southern California. I should stop being a tease.
Welcome back!

Andrea said...

Congrats on the job! Glad to see you're well.

Anonymous said...

Where are you Virginia? Miss you in the blogging world ...

Chris said...

MISS YOU COME BACK! (Or maybe just comment so I know you're alive? Kthxbai.)

Anonymous said...

i miss you. please come backz. nowz. kthxbai.

xo, b

TaraMetBlog said...

Yeah job and blogging doesn't always mix. My latest job leaves me lest time to comment on other blogs, which I love to do. But I'm managing 20 minutes worth today when I should be piching media... shhh

Michelle and the City said...

hey girl! what is up? just making sure you're alive :)

we should hang out again sometime! the weather is actually NICE lately!! yay

Anonymous said...

When you come back, I have tagged you to do a Fluff 5 Meme ...

Thomas said...

Where has your blog gone, Victoria?

Renee said...

I has a sad. Virginia's unannounced blogging hiatus. :'(

Dolce said...

Virgina, you have been gone forever. Any plans to return? I'm missing you.

Anonymous said...

We miss you! Come back!

Anonymous said...

We miss you, girl! Are you alright? Life, it gets in the way.

Bloggy sad face. I haz it.

Anonymous said...

Surely, this time you MUST have won the lottery.

B said...

so. uhm.

hi.

i miss your posts.

hope all is well in your end of the world.