Wednesday, January 16, 2008

To Catch a Thief

As I type, I think someone may be breaking into my apartment. Old-school style, with a black ski mask and a crowbar and maybe a cape as well, because I feel like you can't be a proper burglar without a cape, and perhaps a hamburger too. (Though come to think of it, that may not be the most appropriate attire for a heist at 2 o'clock on a Wednesday afternoon.)Or I could be totally overreacting, as I usually do in situations when...well, as I always do. Our neighborhood is not the safest in the world, though by no means is it dangerous. My roommates and I live townhome-style apartment downtown, a few blocks from where all the tall buildings start to sprout up (I say tall buildings rather than skyscrapers, because please, this is Columbus). The street we live on is quite nice and the residents we've met seem very friendly, but go a few blocks north and you're in a rather dodgy area. There is a big park nearby, which is home to many a weirdo and homeless person. Though they generally keep to their trees, gazebos, and benches, I would never walk through there at night. I occasionally like to flirt with danger, but it's usually in the how-many-drinks-can-I-have-in-one-night variety.

When we were looking for an apartment last summer, the landlord told us that in the 20-some odd years he had been managing this set of townhomes, he had never had any break-ins or burglaries. Well, his record was shot on New Year's Eve when someone broke into our neighbor's garage and stole his tools and snow blower (and it just so happened that it snowed a LOT the next day, so I am thinking the thief was a meteorologist of some sort...yes, I am looking at YOU, Ben Gelber!). Bill, our neighbor, left to go to the office at 5am (yes, he is a night owl...perhaps a vampire?) and remembers shutting the door behind him as his wife still slept upstairs (in her coffin, surrounded by bats and cobwebs and lots of dark red velvet). The door was still shut when he came back a few hours later, but when he pulled into the garage he noticed that the aforementioned items were MIA. He called the police, who determined that the thief must have had some sort of special frequency garage opener thingy (the technical term, obvi).

And so now I am a wee bit paranoid. Megan and Rose both keep their golf clubs in our garage, but other than that all we have are some empty boxes and a bag of dirt from that time I pretended to be a gardener over the summer. Not much a thief would want. So maybe my mind was playing tricks on me when I opened the garage this morning and saw a white car idling just to the right of our driveway, in the sort of tricky half-parking-spot where cops loooove to give tickets. Our street almost always has cars parked all the way down both sides, but residents have figured out that this spot is to be avoided like the plague.

I stood and looked at the white car for a few seconds, but the driver hightailed it out of there almost immediately. No squealing tires, but I think he hit the gas a bit harder than was necessary. Maybe he had parked there overnight and was warming up his car, then decided it was warm enough just as I walked out. Or maybe not. But if anyone so much as lays a PINKY on my beloved Powerbook, I swear to the high heavens that they will forever rue the day that they decided to do so.Any suggestions on how I can make my apartment safer? We have locks on all the windows and doors, and I am pretty OCD about making sure they are ALWAYS locked. And notice how there is nothing even remotely valuable of mine in the garage (they can have my $8 bag of dried dirt for all I care). But what else? What about the door from the garage into the hallway next to my room? Should I dig a pit for piranhas on the other side? A gate of spikes that crashes down on unwanted intruders?Should I buy a doberman? Should I quit my job and just sit at home all day long consumed by thoughts of DOOOOOOOM?

21 comments:

B said...

And I seriously thought I was alone in such imaginings.. I swear to goodness in your shoes I'd be thinking the exact same thing!

Gah!

Michelle and the City said...

keep a bat under the bed for sure ;)

Stephanie said...

I am SO the same way. I'd probably opt for staying home all day and watching out the front window.

What's best about my apartment? The window next to my bed? Is on a fire escape. And has a broken lock. Sometimes it's really hard for me to fall asleep at night!

Anonymous said...

I think the best bet is just to be aware of your surroundings at all times. Make sure your entryway is well-lit. Shred all your personal documents and keep checks somewhere safe (easy stuff to steal and could totally hose your credit). Never leave valuables in your car. (My hubby has had two cars stolen in the past! We don't leave anything of value in them.)

Oh, and wear your Eau du Garlique around your neighbor. ;)

Katelin said...

I say get a parrot that will let you know if anyone is anywhere near your place. Granted that could get kind of annoying. But hey it's a thought?

Or make some home booby traps, Home Alone style. That'd be sweet.

B2G said...

Seriously, keep a bat by your bed, simply for the fact that it'll make you feel better (I seriously doubt you'll ever have to use it). Make sure there are good locks on the door that goes from the garage to the hall. Like a deadbolt and a thick chain. I think you'll be okay, though. :)

Lisa said...

"they generally keep to their trees, gazebos, and benches" Too hilarious. Seriously, TOO hilarious.

I am very paranoid and I always have an escape route, should a gunman enter my school, or a tornado sweep through my house, or a hurricane bring floods to the local playground. I'm not often at the local playground, but I'm sure a nearby flood would still rage serious repercussions for me. You either have to walk around with a taser and a baseball bat, or have your phone always dialed to 9-1- and have your finger hover over the 1.

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

Ok, this is a tough one and I totally understand it. I almost ALWAYS think someone is trying ot get into my house....

I always had mase, and when I was really scared. A man. Just in case I needed him to kick some ass.

Anonymous said...

hmm...well keep a wooden stake around (for your neighbors) and just continue doing everything else you're doing. Unless you want to spend moolah, making sure everything is locked is the best route.

Anonymous said...

Is there any way to get an alarm? Or.. perhaps an extra lock or two? I hate leaving my stuff home too, hence lugging around my laptop because I'm paranoid.

(That picture reminds me of the huge gate at the Tower of London. Shall I have it shipped over for you? :D)

Renee said...

I, too, am paranoid about theft... but this is due to the time my shitty '92 Geo Prizm was broken into a couple years ago and all my beloved CDs were stolen. I was parked on campus between A HUMMER AND A LEXUS. (I go to school with mostly rich snobby girls.)

Tina Poe said...

Create a pyramid stack of glass bottles or aluminum cans in front of the doors and windows. Babysitter style!

I never quite understood that though, because once they are in your house, you're pretty much fucked, right?

nicole antoinette said...

First of all, did you see the new Macbook that came out yesterday?! The one that's so thin, it fits in a manila envelope?! Ah. DESIRE.

Secondly, I lived in a really sketchy part of Brooklyn two years ago and was pretty sure I was gonna die like all the time. As long as you have window and door locks that are secure, there's not much else you can do. I used to leave lights on when home alone too.

Julie Q said...

lol you can always buy one of those ADT Security signs for about $1.00 on eBay! Stay safe!

Andrea said...

Ahh, I imagine the same thing, but I'm in a completely opposite situation. My family lives literally the middle of a cowpatch, so I'm always paranoid so psycho will find his way down here... because no one will find us if he does. I honestly feel safer in cities, because at least there are neighbors in case anything goes wrong.

Susie said...

Garlic. Garlic works for everything. But also, you probably shouldn't sleep. Ever. Just in case.

:)

Larissa said...

You should hire a personal security guard. A hot one.

Emily Main said...

When my husband is out of town... I sleep with a hammer on my night stand... you know, to fend of evil doers and such.

Maxie said...

Can I please tell you that the visual of the vampire thing CRACKED me up. I'm bout to pee my pants.

And as far as security. I recommend getting a sticker that says you have an alarm system... even if you don't. Why the hell not.

Who? Me? said...

Do you live in German Village area? It sounds like you're discussing Schiller Park and seriously, I wouldn't go there during the day by myself! I suppose you could mean Italian Village and Goodale Park...hmmm...It's a mystery. Also a mystery, would you like to meet up? Possibly grab a drink with Miss Michelle and I? Let me know!

The Ex said...

I just bought the Juno soundtrack yesterday at the Virgin Megastore on Hollywood for only 10 DOLLARS and wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I love it so damn much.