My grandfather had diabetes and dementia and had been in a nursing home for the past few months. Last week, he fell and fractured his hip. Mom managed to catch a flight out there the next day to see him and be with my grandmother. While he was in the hospital, he suffered a severe heart attack and then caught pneumonia (which apparently is really common in older patients). At that point, there wasn't much anyone could do except keep him company, make him comfortable, and hope for the best. But it was just too much...we knew what would eventually happen. While it hurts so much right now to know that my grandfather is gone, I'm so, so thankful that he's not feeling alone or confused or in any pain.
As the oldest grandchild (and a granddaughter, at that) I knew that I was his favorite. After all, it was I who christened him Dampa since I couldn't pronounce "Grandpa" when I started to talk, and thus started a trend with the eight grandchildren who followed. When we visited Dampa and Mimi out in Massachusetts, he always slipped me the biggest portions of dessert. He taught me how to build sand castles and eat lobsters at Woodman's (and also how to race the live ones against each other out on the deck). He laughed at me when I was too chicken to swim in the frigid ocean. He owned almost every single Disney movie ever made, and loved to sit and watch them with us on the rainy days when we couldn't go to the beach. When I was little, he always saved a place for me in his bed on Saturday mornings so that we could watch cartoons together (Winnie the Pooh was our favorite).
Dampa built Sarah and I our very own dollhouses for Christmas one year, and I think those are still the best presents we have ever received. I remember calling him throughout grade school whenever I did really well on a big paper or project, and he was always so genuinely proud of me every single time. He was the only person I've ever known who regularly used the word "cunning" in everyday conversation, and who could never quite remember not to say "damn it" so often in front of the kids. And when I made Dampa laugh, especially in the later years, it was the best feeling in the world.
Dad, Sarah, and I are flying to Boston tomorrow morning and then driving up to my grandparent's house in Annisquam to be with everyone and attend the funeral in the tiny church where my parents were married. It has been years since my mom's entire side of the family was able to get together. Though this is obviously an event that we all prayed would never happen, Dampa was sick for a long time, and I think he'd like to know that we were all together celebrating his incredible life and how much we loved him. How much we will always love him.
47 comments:
I'm so sorry about your Grandpa.
I am so genuinely sorry for your loss. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you are able to find peace surrounding this loss. HUGE HUG
Im so sorry to hear about your loss. Safe travels tomorrow, and I'm sure your grandpa would be happy to see your whole family celebrating his life together.
Soo sorry for your loss, my heart goes out to you and your family. I'll send many hugs your way.
:( :( :( I'm so sorry for your loss :(
I think you're on the right track at such a sad time.
If you miss someone, they must have brought something great to the world, so celebrate their effect on the world and do whatever you can to keep the greatness alive. That way, they live on in all the positive things done in their name.
All my best wishes to you and all your family.
Oh, Virginia, I am so sorry for the loss of your grandpa. *hug* from across the country.
Oh honey. I am sending you hugs. You and your family are definitely in my prayers.
Oh, Virginia, I'm so sorry for your loss. :( May the sadness in your heart be replaced by happy memories...
:(
I'm so sorry Virginia. You'll be in my thoughts this weekend.
Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry. This is such a painful time. Thank you for sharing your memories with us.
I'm so sorry to hear about your grandpa. Those pictures are precious. I'm glad that you have those wonderful memories to hang on to.
I am sorry to hear about your Dampa...My condolences to you and your family.
You and your family will be in my thoughts this weekend Virginia.. have a safe trip
I am so sorry about your Dampa. This was a lovely tribute to him and it sounds like you have many great memories to remember him by for all the years to come. My condolences to you and your family. Have a safe trip. ::hugs::
We all have dark moments. You needn't apologize for them. I'm sending you good vibes to stay strong. Or good vibes to have a good cry. Love!
I'm so sorry for your loss... I'll be thinking of you this weekend. Thank you for sharing those memories with us...
you know.. it's always really tough to come up with something witty & comforting & perfect to say in situations like this..
I just wish you and your family the best, as well as safe travels.
I'm sorry for your loss. I hope you and your family find peace toghther. Safe travels.
awww, i am really sorry for your loss. i'll keep you and your family in my thoughts during this difficult time =(
I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandpa. You're saying goodbye in the perfect way, but beautiful pictures like the ones you posted will help ensure that Dampa lives on forever.
Hugs!
I'm so sorry about your Grandpa... I know it is sad that your family is being brought together because you have lost someone special, but it is still ok to enjoy their company even during times like this.
You family is in my thoughts... hope you have safe travels...
So sorry about your Grandpa.
Sometimes it's okay to take a vacation from funny.
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Your grandfather sounds like a great guy, I especially love the photo of you guys in bed watching cartoons. As for not feeling funny? I'm there as well- nominated for funniest and not feeling funny one bit. Take care and I hope that you have a safe trip.
i am so so sorry for your loss virginia. i can't even imagine how you must be feeling right now. know that you and your family are in my thoughts. glad you were able to be in a supportive environment with your family this weekend.
Aw, Virginia, I'm so sorry *hugs* I lost my last two grandparents this year, and it was really tough.
It's good to remember all the good things, though, and it's evident that you do :)
Sending you good vibes :)
I'm so sorry, girl. I hope the many wonderful memories you have with him are enough to sustain you in the difficult days to come. We're all thinking of you!
Oh my gosh, honey, I am so sorry. Thanks for sharing your beautiful memories of him with us. You're in my thoughts.
What a beautiful post! He will be with you as long as you remember him and tell his stories. He sounds like a great man.
Oh Virginia. I am just getting to this post now and I can't even begin to say how sorry I am for you and your family's loss. You will definitely be in my thoughts and I'm always here if you want to talk.
V, I am so incredibly sorry; he sounds like an amazing man and an incredible grandfather who will be greatly missed. I'll be thinking about you.
Hey buddy, I'm so sorry about your grandpa. I have great memories and pictures with mine as well, and I can't even imagine having to say goodbye to him right now. My thoughts are with you.
I'm so sorry to hear about you grandpa.My heart goes out to you and your family.
I'm so sorry to hear about your grandpa. My heart goes out to you and your family.
oh virginia. what a beautifully touching post - it left me with teared eyes. the love you have for your grandfather is so apparent and i'm so sorry for the loss you and your family are going through right now. my heart aches for you. i hope the weekend was filled with love, tears and maybe even some laughs as you exchanged fond memories. And i hope it provided you some kind of stepping stone to the healing process. i am here for you if you ever want to talk.
lots and lots of hugs VA. hope you get what I sent you soon. :)
miss you!
so sorry to hear about your loss
:( I'm so sorry. You are so lucky to have so many good memories with him, things you will never, ever forget. I never really knew any of my grandparents and love hearing stories about other people's.
The pictures you shared are adorable.
I'm so sorry sweetie. Geez. Why does life have to be so rough sometimes?
Oh Virginia. I'm so sorry. I wish I had something else to offer. Have a safe flight.
i too, send digital and genuine love. i went through this type of loss a few months back, and i hope the connections that having family all together again shed some warm light on an otherwise tragic event.
you honor him with these words.
I'm so sorry to hear about your grandpa. I love the picture of you passed out in his armpit though, so adorable.
Wow. I am sorry to hear about your loss and hope that you are doing all right. It sounds like it's been a tough time lately. Try to keep your chin up, there is a lot of people out here to support you. :)
Please let us know if we can be of any help. I, for one, will try to be extra funny on my blog to get you to smile.
I'm so sorry...and those aren't empty words.
The way you talk about your 'Dampa' is very touching.
I am so sorry to hear about your grandad - and that I am so delayed. :( Hugs to you, and your family.
Post a Comment