Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A Disappearing Act (And a Poll!)

It has been a hellaciously stressful week so far (and yes, I know that it is only Tuesday morning...not a good sign). And when I get stressed, I have a problem. A lady problem. Wait--any male readers, come back! I guess it isn't really a problem relegated to ladies...any guys who are afflicted with unibrows or who have a penchant for cross-dressing might fall into this hairy (a pun!) category as well.

I am obsessed with plucking my eyebrows, especially when I have a lot on my mind. I think this stems from the whole constantly-playing-with-my-hair problem too. But I just find it sort of relaxing. (Escapism through plucking?) At the end of a hard day, I pluck. It doesn't hurt...I think I've killed all the nerve endings underneath my brows. But I am sort of worried that if I continue down this path of follicle over-grooming, I may wind up with nothing but epidermis between my eyes and my hairline (and nothing to do but consume even MORE wine and chocolate in an attempt to eat/drink away my emotions). I suppose if something like that WAS to occur, I could join the honored ranks of many an old lady, cross-dresser, and friendly nun-playing actress and deem it appropriate to forgo eyebrows altogether.Or maybe draw on fake eyebrows! Hmm...then again, the only reason I passed art classes in grade school was because I sucked up to the teachers and gave each project as much "effort" as I could, though the end result was often something that my parents only left on the mantle or refrigerator for a few weeks before figuring I had forgotten about it, then banishing said masterpiece to The Room That Love Forgot (also known as the guest bedroom). And if I tried to draw eyebrows onto my face, no doubt the right one would swirl around my nose and end waaay up in my hairline, and the left would meander from my eye down to my belly button.

So I am in a pickle. Really, I think I just need to hide the tweezers, but how can something that feels so right when I'm stressed out be so wrong?

Oh right. This is why.So in attempt to help slow the mad scramble of thoughts currently taking over my brain, riddle me this. Would you rather:

1. Take a new position that is actually exactly what you've been looking for over the past two years, and that could lead to incredible possibilities down the road. However, your salary would be $5,000-$10,000 less than was desirable and as a result, you would have to seriously pinch pennies, live from paycheck to paycheck, and struggle to make ends meet. You might be forced to get a second job as well. Or apply for foodstamps.

2. Continue on in your current job, which is more boring than watching grass grow, but you're surprisingly good at it and are paid a decent salary (especially considering the actual amount of work you do).

3. Hold out for something better, though you have absolutely no idea what that could be.

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say do what makes you happy.


And for God sake, put down the tweezers.

Michelle and the City said...

the job choice is a tough one. is the new prospect something that will make you happy enough to not mind pinching pennies? if so i wouldn't hesitate to switch. but i find that when i'm broke, it's harder for me to be happy because i'm constantly worried about how i'm going to pay my bills. but that's just a personal thing.

i also have a similar problem to your overplucking, when i'm stressed and my lips are dry i always pick at them. it's a horrible habit and probably will have to use chapstick for the rest of my life.

Seeking Him said...

Do #1, do #1!!! It is once in a lifetime a job that you want and would love actually comes along, so I would make a plan to make it work. Budget everything and then once you work your way up, you'll hopefully have more breathing room in your wallet. Good luck!

Stephanie said...

To me, money can be a huge source of stress that affects all other areas of my life, so to take a job where I'd have to pinch pennies would be really hard.

I say, go for option 3. Wait it out. I'm sure you'll find something that pays as much as you earn now but will be more rewarding.

Another thing - could you possibly ask the new job for as much as you make now?

Last. Penciled eyebrows=BAD.

OenoLogical said...

Without knowing the detail, I'd vote 1, so long as you can work out how to afford it. There's no point ending up stressed because you're constantly broke, but it's amazing how much more affordable life is when you don't feel like you constantly have to buy treats for yourself after yet another shitty day at work. Give me a happy and interesting working life any day.

Oh, and lay off those poor eyebrows - what did they ever do to hurt you?

Anonymous said...

Oh, tough call! I vote that you email the Eight Great with more specifics cause this is pretty exciting.

Jen

Jamie Lovely said...

I say number number, as long as you think you could figure out the specifics. How long you think you it would be before you'd be able to get a raise or a new position within?

I think I'd rather be happy and have things work out better in the long run than be miserable now.

Seriously though, Virginia! Step away from the tweezers!

Who? Me? said...

I would like to say number one, but in my current state as a married homeowneer, I no longer have that luxury. Right now I want to move to another district so bad but I can't because we can't afford to live w/out my salary and another district requires me to take a pay cut. If you can figure out a way to afford it, do number one. But don't spread your money too thin. Not having money can be as stressful, if not more stressful, than an unsatisfying job.

Whew. That was a lot.

B said...

I'm pretty sure I'd hold out for something better. Bills suck.

Then again, if it's something I *totally* love.. I'd take the paycut.

Hm.

That didn't really help, did it?

Lisa said...

I'm a tweezer too!

SOLUTION: TWEEZE THE LEGS! OR THE ARMPITS. my brows have finally been able to grow in a bit. they were too thin, backwhen. and not an ingrown hair anywhere to be found on my legs!

also, my vote is take the job that is what you want to do. if you do it for a year, you can get experience and then get hired to do that job somewhere else for more money.

Emily Main said...

I say to rename your blog: Escapism Through Plucking

Fabulous phrase right there.

I wish I could pluck.. instead, I sport the Brooke Shields look. *sigh*

as for the job, I'd be more inclined to stay at current job and hold out for something better.. but that is because I'm all about the benjamins ..... good luck.

Anonymous said...

Yes, tweezing my eyebrows sounds like great fun.

If I were you I pick choice No. 1. Trust me, doing what you've always wanted to do will be worth more than gold.

J.L. Williams said...

The tweezing cracks me up! I say take the job with less pay that you have always wanted. The joy of going will make up for less pay! I loved this blog. So funny!

Jenn said...

Take the new job. It could be great, it could turn out badly, but even if it does, you probably won't regret it. I took a job once that was a risk, and eventually it didn't work out, but I was still really glad I gave it a shot.


P.S. Foodstamps are pretty easy to get!

nicole antoinette said...

I'd say it depends on what "pinching pennies" will really mean for you, and if you'll be able to handle it. Also, do you have any idea how long you'll have to do that for? Like, is there a pretty clear indication of when you'll start getting paid what you want to get paid? All things to consider, but if those questions all have manageable answers, I say go the heck for #1. That's what I'd do. But I'm also a totally spontaneous CrazyFace, so maybe don't follow my lead? Haha...

ANA said...

Okay first things first, put down the tweezers...

now we talk,
Clearly you want to take the job. Money being the factor that is holding you back. You have to assess the pros and cons. Can you survive the penny pinching it requires you to do?
Since stress has you pulling out your eye brows, I don't think you are a big fan of 'it' and cutting down your spending capacity can be very stressful.

If I were you I'd stay in the boring grass watching job till something else came along wooed my heart and promised me the greens....

Katelin said...

VA I think you should do what's going to make you happy. Which could mean taking the new job, hope they pay you more and get really good at saving up and living on Ramen again (I kid, I kid). But seriously, I think you'll figure it out.

And the tweezers, put them away. Now!

Bogart said...

It is always a tough one, but if you can get paid doing something you love, the money will come...plus, if you are good at it, the $5 or 10k difference will not be that big of a deal for very long.

Nice pink tiger print...

The Ex said...

I say wait. If this job was right, it'd be the right pay.

Also? Tweeze other things. That'll help.

Vanessa said...

I would say as long as it really is the job of your dreams, and there is actual room for financial growth, go for the job of your dreams. I echo what was said above about not having enough money stressing me out and making it harder to be happy when you have to limit, for example, what you can do with friends because of budgetary reasons. And long term happiness isn't promised by any job, its found within. But if you would be happy there right now today, I say go for what makes you happy, just find the balance. Good luck with your decision and keep us posted.

B2G said...

This is hard, and everyone already said lots. So I'll just say... what the hell is up with Whoopi not having eyebrows, anyway? And also, her changing her name to "Whoopi?" Oh wait, I know. Because her real name is Karen spelled like this: Caryn.

Caryns of the world don't hate me!

Donna said...

I would go for it, but that's just me. Money isn't everything.
You don't want to be stressing about money, but a job that makes you happy is worth having. I had a friend who had a great paying job, but she was miserable. The last few months she worked there she actually started to have physical problems due to the stress. She took a 2/3 paycut for a less stressful job . . . and didn't regret it.
I say sit down, write out all the money you spend vs what you will make if you had this job. See if the 5-10k is as big of a difference as you think. Who knows, maybe little changes like seeing a matinee movie instead of full price one, packing a lunch or buying non-brand-named foods (you get the point) could make it possible.

Susie said...

That's really tough...but I say, definitely don't take choice 2. And that picture? Um, please stop plucking!

Bee said...

1 or 3. Never 2. But that's just me. All or nothing. Also, I don't think the picture is that bad. Again, that could be just me ;)

Anonymous said...

well i'm going with the unpopular choice and saying that i would seriously have to LOVE (like i will sleep outside in negative nine degree weather/turn tricks if i lose my apartment or can't eat kind of LOVE) job no. 1 to go with that. as someone who has done the "but! but! this is my PASSION" route and literally been making a wage that i think made me qualify as "poverty", it is NOT easy being that poors (that's right, MULTIPLE POORS). especially if it just you, and you are not leaning on parents or a sugar daddy or ANYTHING. AND if all your friends are making bank. and you may or may not have a hard time with the idea of staying locked up like a forced hermit and actually want to go out and do stuff.

if job no. 1 lets you have enough time to get a second job then yes, do it. because it's really important to not get stuck in a job that you know is beneath you or doesn't inspire or fulfill you.
i'm all about following your heart and your passion and doing what you love, but ... unfortunatly reality has some issues with that sometimes. maybe it'd be possible to save up some $$ before taking a job like no. 1? ha, look at me, now i'm suggesting to someone that they SAVE MONEY. apparently, at 5:41 am i become my parents.

proving again that i am 57 people stuck inside one, i guess my ultimate answer is that you shouldn't let yourself get stuck in a job like no. 2 because then you will become a supporting character of the office but realize that the reality of little / no money is very very harsh. even if you are someone who only cares to have enough money to eat/drink/go play. and especially if you tend to be too generous.

Le Petit Chic said...

I would choose the first one, only because I'm in your current situation...good paying job, but boring and not my dream. I would love a shot to do something that I was really passionate about.

Phantom Hater said...

There is actually a disorder that involves excessive plucking of eyebrows due to stress. It's called Trichotillomania. I say, pluck them all out and draw them back in with multi-colored markers.

Kiki said...

I'd recommend intentionally getting splinters... I LOVE pulling them out. Leave the brows alone!!

I vote for numero 3. As someone who's had to penny pinch for the last year and half, it makes you hate your job, even if it's something you had the chance to love. Not fun. Trust me, something fantastic WILL come along!

...although my new "fantastic" job has landed me in a shitty little cube where everyone can see my computer screen. Doh!

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

Hm...I know Im a little late but this is a tough one, and actually a predicament that i'm in sort of as well...I'll blog on th later...

BUT, i'm gonna say....#3?....EEE Its tough, I dont know. NOT 2.