Thursday, April 30, 2009

Decisions, Decisions

I realized last night as I was making dinner that I have made a lot of big decisions recently. Decisions that, while they won't change my life forever, will be pretty significant in the next year or so.

1. I decided to join a gym...a REAL one, anyway. The one I go to now is free (until I turn 25 in a few short months) because my parents are members. I know that I shouldn't complain, because you know, it's FREE, but seriously if you could see this place, you would understand. The only people there in the evenings are a smattering of old men who give me dirty glances if, heaven forbid, I try to use the weight machines. Classes are only taught during the day when the yummy mummies can attend, and it's getting really hard to motivate myself to get on the treadmill AGAIN or the stair stepper or elliptical AGAIN, because those are my only options. (There are stationary bicycles, but I don't like using those...I tend to sweat a lot when I exercise [DAMN YOU GENES!] and sitting + lots of sweat + shorts = commiserating looks from the old men regarding my apparent bladder control problem.) So I talked to a few friends who are members at this big local gym (weight-loss support system! hurrah!) and on Monday I got a tour from a super nice employee. Last night, I bit the bullet. I signed up...and just in time too. The wedding is in five months. That that is enough time to lose ten pounds and develop killer arms, right? RIGHT???

2. Even more exciting and significant is that I found a new apartment!! It is the cutest thing ever (yes, I am biased). It won't exactly be a change of scenery--it's only half a mile from my current place in the Short North area of Columbus--but I luuurve this neighborhood, so I'm ecstatic. Perhaps best of all, it's only two doors down from some of my best friends (no more staggering home alone after a late-night at the bars!) and it will be MINE (um, and Alex's). I have nothing against my roommates, but I think there just comes a time in every gal's life when she needs a place of her own, with her own stuff and her own DVR schedule and of course her own master bedroom. There is no garage or reserved parking spot, but the pros outweigh the cons. It has an amazing fenced-in backyard and deck, exposed brick walls, a washer and dryer and dishwasher, enormous closets in both bedrooms, and a giant jacuzzi bathtub (schwing!). What more could a girl ask for?? I will post pictures when we move in, which sadly won't be until July.

3. Alex and I began the wedding registry process on Sunday, and lo, it is awesome. But it is also SO MUCH HARDER than I thought it would be! Blame it on tv shows, but I thought it would be a piece of cake. We would skip through the store, basking in the glow of our soon-to-be-wedded bliss, scanning things left and right. I told Alex we would be in and out of there in an hour. Well. Fast forward to three hours later, when we had officially scanned a grand total of ELEVEN items, some of which I deleted on the website after we got home. Who knew this would be so difficult?! I don't know what kind of pots and pans I want. I don't know which casual china I will want to look at every day for the rest of my life. I don't know anything about food processors or crock pots. Do I HAVE to get formal china and crystal stemware? It seems excessive. Phew! Exhausting. Don't get me wrong, the scanner gun thinger is so cool (as was the much-needed complimentary Starbucks we received when we left). Obviously we still have many, many decisions to make on this front.

I have also decided that I wish Friday would go ahead and get here already, what a slow-poke.

7 comments:

Chris said...

When is your wedding? Mine is in just about 5 months too. Also, we didn't register for crystal and china...because I too thought it was excessive. Also, I need to get the gym STAT! Okay, basically we are the same person.

Anonymous said...

Woo! Registering! We started that last month (March I believe) and we registered at Pampered Chef and Target. I did the Pampered Chef one b/c please...B would kill me. He went with me to Target, we spent 2 hours there and still aren't done! No one says you have to get china or crystal! Register for things that make sense for you and Alex. For example: we're doing some traditional things: towels and sheets (b/c you can never have enough), but we also registered for a shop-vac. What? I like to wash and vacuum my car at home! B also registered for grill supplies and tools, while I picked out mirrors and some things to put on the walls. It is definitely harder than it looks! But it's oh so much fun! :)

Katelin said...

oh man i can't wait to register, it just looks like so much fun. hard work but fun! ah yay gifts! haha.

and yay for the new apartment, i can't wait to come visit.

Larissa said...

Look at you and all your very grownup decisions :)

Registering for gifts is so fun!

Maxie said...

at least your gym had classes at all...mine only had lame ones that you had to pay out the butt to take. SO annoying. If I'm paying for the gym already the classes should be included!

Anonymous said...

Yay, VA! I'm glad your blog is back.

Jen

Trixie the Pixie said...

You're back! I'm glad... just decided to take a peek the other day after you'd taken your hiatus. I've been following for a while (under a different blog identity, decided not to go with anonymity for the time being). Anyway, welcome back :) Oooh, and congrats on the engagement!