Monday, May 4, 2009

Decisions, Part II: In Which I Need a Motorcycle License

Alternatively titled "Virginia and Alex Are Officially Having Quarter Life Crises."

So over the weekend, we made a big purchase...by far the biggest purchase we have made together since we met five and a half years ago. A little background: Alex currently lives in Cleveland and travels Monday through Thursday for work. I live in Columbus. On the weekends, I'll either drive up there or he'll fly directly here from wherever it is that he's been working (currently, Vegas). We split our time between the two cities fairly evenly, but he is leaving the Mistake on the Lake in a couple of months to move down here for good.

Because he travels so often, Alex has absolutely no need for a car. We use mine on the weekends, and it works out just fine and dandy. A few months ago, however, he came to the realization that once we officially move in together and get married, my car will be our only form of transportation. Apparently in Man World, it is a cardinal offense for a Man to depend solely on a Woman's car (especially if said car is a Honda Civic and not, like, a truck) when he needs to go somewhere.

And hence the idea for a second form of transportation was born. We both realized immediately that it would be totally excessive to purchase a second car. But then we were having brunch at Bodega last Sunday morning with our friend Liz, and Alex was facing the window, which allowed him to see the street. And all the scooters whizzing by. Scooters, eh? Yes, scooters. LIKE THIS ONE:Meet the Buddy 125, a product of the Genuine Scooter Company and quite possibly the cutest thing outside the world of puppies. We went to Pride of Cleveland Scooters on Saturday morning with the sole intent to see what was available, learn about the different options, see how big of an investment this would be, etc. Alex had done a lot of homework already regarding the subject, but we needed to see them in person. I know it sounds disgustingly cliche, but it was love at first sight when we learned about this one. BUT. I made us go get Chipotle for lunch before we actually signed any papers, so that we could Be Responsible and take times to Think Things Through.

Of course, we ended up buying it. In red. I am so freaking excited. (Don't worry, we bought helmets too.) And this is where the whole I-need-my-motorcycle-license thing comes in, because the state of Ohio defines anything with a motor as a motorcycle (some states say that the engine has to be a certain size to necessitate a separate license...not Ohio, of course). I have ridden on the back of scooters before, but I have never driven one and I am a wee bit (read: sweaty-pits-and-rapid-heartbeat) nervous to try it out, because ohmigod what if I fall and hurt the scooter. Or myself, obvi. But when the guy delivers the Buddy 125, he's going to give us lessons and I think he saw the fear in my eyes, so he said he'd definitely spend a little extra time with me. I have my little booklet of motorcycle laws and whatnot, and I have to go take a test to get my temporary license sometime this week since our new purchase is being dropped off next weekend. And if I just ride around in parking lots for a few weeks before braving REAL ROADS, that's cool, right?

However, it's hard to concentrate on the booklet since I just keep thinking what we should name our Buddy 125. Cherry? Italian Stallion? Big Red (a shout out to our days at Denison)? Should we stick with Buddy? I like it but it seems a little lacking in the creativity department. What else? Suggestions please!

Game face: ON

2 comments:

Trixie the Pixie said...

I like "Big Red" for some reason. But really, as long as you get to wear that helmet, any name should suffice. Because nothing is cooler than that helmet. Seriously.

And, I agree with the idea of a 7th inning stretch on flights -- why haven't they come up with this idea yet? I, too, am a fan (actually, I insist on sitting there) of the window seat, which proves problematic, since I ALWAYS have to pee. Even if the flight is 45 minutes long.

Vanessa said...

I've always wanted a scooter, they just look like so much fun! Love your game face.